Mar 23, 2011, 10:29 PM EST
As a professional blogger, I am required by law to work in my mother’s basement and never see the light of day. Even though my parents’ house has never had a basement. Still, it’s the law.
“I’ve never played for a coach who was that focused,” Rose said of Tom Thibodeau, admiringly. “There’s nothing else — no kids, no wife, no leisure time to watch TV. I’m dead serious. There’s nothing else going on.
“I’ve never heard about Thibs being out eating. I never ran into him eating anywhere. No matter what city we’re in, I won’t see him until the next day. I never been around a coach like him.”
Even my mom lets me out of the basement more often than that.
“Nah, he’s healthy,” Rose said. “We’re winning. He seems like he’s enjoying himself. So I’m fine with it.”
You don’t get to be an NBA coach just drinking scotch after every game… well, unless you’re Don Nelson. But he’s the exception to the rule. For the most part NBA coaches are workaholics, guys who are obsessed with film and the game itself. They obsessive control freaks.
And it that world, even in Boston when they were winning titles, the other coaches talked about always seeing Thibodeau in the film room. That he almost literally lived and breathed basketball.
And it’s working pretty well for the Bulls.
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 0
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 5
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 4
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)