Mar 23, 2011, 10:29 PM EDT
As a professional blogger, I am required by law to work in my mother’s basement and never see the light of day. Even though my parents’ house has never had a basement. Still, it’s the law.
“I’ve never played for a coach who was that focused,” Rose said of Tom Thibodeau, admiringly. “There’s nothing else — no kids, no wife, no leisure time to watch TV. I’m dead serious. There’s nothing else going on.
“I’ve never heard about Thibs being out eating. I never ran into him eating anywhere. No matter what city we’re in, I won’t see him until the next day. I never been around a coach like him.”
Even my mom lets me out of the basement more often than that.
“Nah, he’s healthy,” Rose said. “We’re winning. He seems like he’s enjoying himself. So I’m fine with it.”
You don’t get to be an NBA coach just drinking scotch after every game… well, unless you’re Don Nelson. But he’s the exception to the rule. For the most part NBA coaches are workaholics, guys who are obsessed with film and the game itself. They obsessive control freaks.
And it that world, even in Boston when they were winning titles, the other coaches talked about always seeing Thibodeau in the film room. That he almost literally lived and breathed basketball.
And it’s working pretty well for the Bulls.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11