Mar 23, 2011, 10:29 PM EDT
As a professional blogger, I am required by law to work in my mother’s basement and never see the light of day. Even though my parents’ house has never had a basement. Still, it’s the law.
“I’ve never played for a coach who was that focused,” Rose said of Tom Thibodeau, admiringly. “There’s nothing else — no kids, no wife, no leisure time to watch TV. I’m dead serious. There’s nothing else going on.
“I’ve never heard about Thibs being out eating. I never ran into him eating anywhere. No matter what city we’re in, I won’t see him until the next day. I never been around a coach like him.”
Even my mom lets me out of the basement more often than that.
“Nah, he’s healthy,” Rose said. “We’re winning. He seems like he’s enjoying himself. So I’m fine with it.”
You don’t get to be an NBA coach just drinking scotch after every game… well, unless you’re Don Nelson. But he’s the exception to the rule. For the most part NBA coaches are workaholics, guys who are obsessed with film and the game itself. They obsessive control freaks.
And it that world, even in Boston when they were winning titles, the other coaches talked about always seeing Thibodeau in the film room. That he almost literally lived and breathed basketball.
And it’s working pretty well for the Bulls.
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 0
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 8
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7