Mar 23, 2011, 10:29 PM EDT
As a professional blogger, I am required by law to work in my mother’s basement and never see the light of day. Even though my parents’ house has never had a basement. Still, it’s the law.
“I’ve never played for a coach who was that focused,” Rose said of Tom Thibodeau, admiringly. “There’s nothing else — no kids, no wife, no leisure time to watch TV. I’m dead serious. There’s nothing else going on.
“I’ve never heard about Thibs being out eating. I never ran into him eating anywhere. No matter what city we’re in, I won’t see him until the next day. I never been around a coach like him.”
Even my mom lets me out of the basement more often than that.
“Nah, he’s healthy,” Rose said. “We’re winning. He seems like he’s enjoying himself. So I’m fine with it.”
You don’t get to be an NBA coach just drinking scotch after every game… well, unless you’re Don Nelson. But he’s the exception to the rule. For the most part NBA coaches are workaholics, guys who are obsessed with film and the game itself. They obsessive control freaks.
And it that world, even in Boston when they were winning titles, the other coaches talked about always seeing Thibodeau in the film room. That he almost literally lived and breathed basketball.
And it’s working pretty well for the Bulls.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 5
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10