Mar 23, 2011, 4:57 PM EDT
Milwaukee Bucks shooting guard Michael Redd, who has missed all of this season due to knee injuries and has only played in 51 games over the last three seasons, is hoping to return to game action this weekend after going through his “first practice in 14 months” on Tuesday (h/t: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel):
He was encouraged about the way he played in the 2-hour practice session at the Cousins Center.
“The shot is there; it’s just short or long,” Redd said. “One of my coaches teased me today and said, ‘You made the hard ones today and you missed the easy ones.’
“When you miss time, 14 months of playing, you’ve got to find that rhythm again. It’s one thing doing individual workouts, but you need to play 5-on-5 to get that rhythm.
“This was a huge step. We’ll see how the knee responds. I won’t play tomorrow. I think we’re targeting maybe Friday.”
Both the Bucks and Redd could really use 13 strong games from the former All-Star and Olympic gold medalist. The Bucks are currently a few games out of the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, while Redd is in the last year of a 6-year, $90.9 million contract. If Redd can provide a spark to Milwaukee’s abysmal offense, it would greatly improve the team’s chances of making the playoffs and his chances of getting a decent contract next season.
When healthy, Redd was one of the more graceful wing scorers in the league — hopefully it’s not to late for the 31-year old Redd to have a second act in his career.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 20
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 20
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4