Mar 23, 2011, 4:49 PM EDT
Mark Aguirre, the former Piston player and Dallas Mavericks All-Star, fell at the gym Wednesday and is listed in serious condition, according to the Dallas Morning News.
Reports coming to Mavericks officials after practice was that he “was OK” the paper reports, but there were few details. Apparently he collapsed while running on a treadmill and hit his head.
Aguirre was at the Life Time Fitness in Plano (Texas) and rescue workers arrived quickly and had him breathing into an oxygen mask, according to a member of the gym. Aguirre works out at the club frequently, according to other patrons.
Aguirre is a DePaul legend, the No. 1 pick overall in 1981 who went on to play seven-and-a-half seasons with the Dallas Mavericks. He was a three-time All-Star and still holds the team’s single-season scoring record.
He was traded to the Detroit Pistons where he won two rings as a role player on the “Bad Boy” teams.
Our wishes go out to Aguirre, hoping nothing is seriously wrong and hoping for a speedy recovery.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 10
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 17
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 13
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP
- CFT: Three Navy football players to be charged with rape