Mar 22, 2011, 10:36 AM EDT
If you want, you can spin the Warriors season as a positive — they have 30 wins, already more than last season (26). Baby steps, but with a new owner at least there is hope they can improve on that next season.
But on the ground, they have lost five straight and the same old cracks are showing.
Monday night, coach Keith Smart was the anti-Don Nelson and limited Stephen Curry to just 20 minutes, notes Matt Steinmetz at CSN Bay Area:
This time last year, Curry had the keys to the car, so to speak — and the apartment out back, too. He was playing 40-plus minutes per night under Don Nelson and putting up big numbers.
He was running the offense, taking the shots and making the plays. This year he can’t seem to stay on the floor, and when he’s on it, doesn’t appear nearly as comfortable as he was in 2009-10.
Part of that is about defense. Smart demands they play some, unlike Nelson. Curry is not a good defender. He still got the green light from Nelson but Smart is clearly getting a little fed up. But it also is Curry not fitting as well in the offensive system.
Then there is what Steinmetz says about Monta Ellis.
Monta Ellis is clearly struggling, too. Looks like he’s fatigued, a long season taking its toll. Good chance it has something to do with all the minutes he’s played. All due respect to Acie Law, who didn’t do a bad job, but the Warriors paid the price for not having a bigger presence off the bench in the backcourt.
That is one thing — one of many things, really — this team needs to address in the offseason.
How they address it, how aggressively, will tell fans how much the ownership change means real change in the Bay Area.
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 3
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 18
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11