Mar 22, 2011, 11:44 PM EDT
In New York, Raymond Felton was the man. Well, Amar’e Stoudemire was THE MAN, but Raymond Felton was the deputy. He was the point guard who was making Mike D’Antoni’s system work.
In Denver, Felton is coming off the bench. Ty Lawson is the future, Felton is the other guy.
Winning doesn’t really cure all ills in the NBA, but it does keep guys quiet. So you don’t hear Felton complaining about his situation. But Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld reports he wouldn’t mind being moved this summer (via Hoopshype).
Raymond Felton and his camp have made it very clear that he’s not happy coming off of the bench, and he would likely be voicing his displeasure more if it weren’t for the team’s success.
“It’s working so far. It’s something that I can’t say I’m comfortable with, but at the same time, we’re winning so why say anything? Why complain? Just play ball,” Felton told HOOPSWORLD.
The veteran point guard has even hinted that he’ll force a trade out of Denver this offseason, saying that the situation will be resolved this summer despite the fact that he has one more year on his contract. He feels like this is Ty Lawson’s team and he’s not ready to become a reserve.
“It’s just one of those things where if this is where he’s going to be [long term], then we’ll see this summer where I might be,” Felton said.
There was a lot of talk about the Nuggets moving Felton after the Carmelo Anthony trade in a quick swap, but nothing materialized. What Denver has put together is working right now, but they are looking for the long term. If they can get assets they want, they’ll move Felton. He can get his wish in the off-season, there is demand for quality point guards.
But if he makes a public case of it, demanding his way out, suddenly teams are lowballing Denver. Then they decide not to make a move.
Which is to say, he may be unhappy but win or lose Felton’s best play may be to be a good teammate and work everything quietly.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 3
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29