Mar 22, 2011, 11:14 AM EDT
That sound you hear was the hopes of Grizzlies fans to be a real threat in the playoffs deflating.
Rudy Gay, Memphis’ dynamic wing player who signed a max contract last summer, will need season ending shoulder surgery reports the Commercial Appeal. Gay has been out for a month since injuring his shoulder against the Sixers, but a second opinion recently from everyone’s favorite orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews (what, you can name another one off the top of your head?) changed everything.
“I’ve never really been hurt. I’ve never had anything shut me down,” Gay said. “There’s really no brace or anything I can wear to make it better. I have to have the surgery.”
Gay was the slasher and scorer from the wing that the Grizzlies need to balance out Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol in the paint. He was averaging 19.8 points per game shooting a career-best 47.1 percent this season before the injury.
Memphis has played well without Gay, having gone 8-6, including wins over San Antonio and Oklahoma City. They are currently holding down the eighth playoff spot in the West. But for them to do damage to an elite team in a seven-game series without Gay will be a much, much taller mountain to climb. More like K2.
No date has been set for the surgery. He should be good to go next season (whenever that starts) but will not be part of the Grizzlies playoff run.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 10
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 17
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 13
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP