Mar 22, 2011, 9:10 PM EDT
Wanted: A head coach for a primarily football school to follow in the footsteps of the best, most charismatic coach the university has had in half a century, a guy who won and connected with fans. A guy who bought tickets. Oh, and you’ll have to duplicate that despite sanctions coming from the NCAA.
So, who wants to coach Tennessee?
How about Lawrence Frank?
Frank does have ties to Knoxville, he was an assistant coach there (under Kein O’Neill), and there is still a fondness for the university that has him at least considering the job, Blakely said.
But there are a lot of things in the way. First and foremost, Frank is not leaving the Celtics until they are out of the playoffs, and that will be late May at the earliest and maybe June. Does Tennessee want a vacancy for two months?
Then there is the NBA, where rank is very likely to get another shot. That shot could be in Boston if Doc Rivers leaves at the end of this season. That is not a sure thing, but if he doesn’t get that job he will get interviews this summer as other teams go on a coaching search.
Do you want to leave another shot in the NBA for a college gig where sanctions are going to make winning very challenging for a few years?
Unless he really wants the college coach lifestyle, it’s hard to see to see Frank taking the gig. But it’s out there.
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 0
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 6
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 3
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 44
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7
- Report: Lakers considering bringing back Metta World Peace 33