Mar 22, 2011, 9:10 PM EDT
Wanted: A head coach for a primarily football school to follow in the footsteps of the best, most charismatic coach the university has had in half a century, a guy who won and connected with fans. A guy who bought tickets. Oh, and you’ll have to duplicate that despite sanctions coming from the NCAA.
So, who wants to coach Tennessee?
How about Lawrence Frank?
Frank does have ties to Knoxville, he was an assistant coach there (under Kein O’Neill), and there is still a fondness for the university that has him at least considering the job, Blakely said.
But there are a lot of things in the way. First and foremost, Frank is not leaving the Celtics until they are out of the playoffs, and that will be late May at the earliest and maybe June. Does Tennessee want a vacancy for two months?
Then there is the NBA, where rank is very likely to get another shot. That shot could be in Boston if Doc Rivers leaves at the end of this season. That is not a sure thing, but if he doesn’t get that job he will get interviews this summer as other teams go on a coaching search.
Do you want to leave another shot in the NBA for a college gig where sanctions are going to make winning very challenging for a few years?
Unless he really wants the college coach lifestyle, it’s hard to see to see Frank taking the gig. But it’s out there.
- Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, Knicks shut him down for season 11
- Celtics’ legend Cedric Maxwell stood in location of Boston Marathon bombing just minutes before 1
- 2014 PBT Awards: Executive of the Year 24
- Playoff Chase: We know all 16 teams going to dance, who dances with whom still up in air 13
- 2014 PBT Awards: Sixth Man of the Year 14