Mar 21, 2011, 11:03 AM EST
Two things we know are going to happen this summer:
1) There is going to be a lockout (sorry folks, but it is happening).
2) Germany is going to be trying to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics.
That’s leading Dirk Nowitzki to think about helping his nation qualify for the games, he told the Star-Telegram.
“We have that this summer if we’re locked out,” Nowitzki said of Germany trying to qualify for the Olympics. “I know if it’s going to be a little longer (lockout) and I don’t have anything going anyway, so I might as well stay in shape and play.
“But that all depends on how this season plays out. If we have a long run until June, I might not. I might talk to (Mavs owner Mark) Cuban and see what’s up, see what his thoughts are on it, so we’ll just have to wait and see.”
Um, I’m pretty sure we know what Cuban will say. This is the guy who advocated the NBA taking over FIBA events so that if their players were going to be used at least the league would make some money off it. He has been an outspoken proponent of club over country.
Nowitzki might not be the only player who, picturing some time off this fall to recover, will be willing to put in the energy with their national team this summer. The United States would be the exception — by winning the FIBA World Championships last summer the USA has already qualified for London. Thank you Kevin Durant.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 9
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)