Mar 21, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT
Two things we know are going to happen this summer:
1) There is going to be a lockout (sorry folks, but it is happening).
2) Germany is going to be trying to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics.
That’s leading Dirk Nowitzki to think about helping his nation qualify for the games, he told the Star-Telegram.
“We have that this summer if we’re locked out,” Nowitzki said of Germany trying to qualify for the Olympics. “I know if it’s going to be a little longer (lockout) and I don’t have anything going anyway, so I might as well stay in shape and play.
“But that all depends on how this season plays out. If we have a long run until June, I might not. I might talk to (Mavs owner Mark) Cuban and see what’s up, see what his thoughts are on it, so we’ll just have to wait and see.”
Um, I’m pretty sure we know what Cuban will say. This is the guy who advocated the NBA taking over FIBA events so that if their players were going to be used at least the league would make some money off it. He has been an outspoken proponent of club over country.
Nowitzki might not be the only player who, picturing some time off this fall to recover, will be willing to put in the energy with their national team this summer. The United States would be the exception — by winning the FIBA World Championships last summer the USA has already qualified for London. Thank you Kevin Durant.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13