Mar 21, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT
Two things we know are going to happen this summer:
1) There is going to be a lockout (sorry folks, but it is happening).
2) Germany is going to be trying to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics.
That’s leading Dirk Nowitzki to think about helping his nation qualify for the games, he told the Star-Telegram.
“We have that this summer if we’re locked out,” Nowitzki said of Germany trying to qualify for the Olympics. “I know if it’s going to be a little longer (lockout) and I don’t have anything going anyway, so I might as well stay in shape and play.
“But that all depends on how this season plays out. If we have a long run until June, I might not. I might talk to (Mavs owner Mark) Cuban and see what’s up, see what his thoughts are on it, so we’ll just have to wait and see.”
Um, I’m pretty sure we know what Cuban will say. This is the guy who advocated the NBA taking over FIBA events so that if their players were going to be used at least the league would make some money off it. He has been an outspoken proponent of club over country.
Nowitzki might not be the only player who, picturing some time off this fall to recover, will be willing to put in the energy with their national team this summer. The United States would be the exception — by winning the FIBA World Championships last summer the USA has already qualified for London. Thank you Kevin Durant.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 10
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 12
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 6
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7