Mar 21, 2011, 12:44 PM EDT
When a knife-wielding crazy man rushed into Staples Center near the court Saturday afternoon about 90-minutes before the tipoff of the Cavaliers and Clippers, Christian Eyenga was out on the floor putting up some shots.
The man rushed through the security at the media/employee entrance to Staples and down toward the court at Staples, with security and Los Angeles Police in pursuit. The people on the floor — including Eyenga — scattered. The suspect was there for about 20 minutes before police used non-lethal force to subdue the man (who was described as uttering gibberish during the standoff).
Eyenga told the News Herald that it was a frightening experience.
“Of course, it scared me,” he said. “I heard one of the cheerleaders say, ‘The guy has a gun.’ He might have killed everybody. I just started running….
“I don’t know how it could happen,” Eyenga said. “I’ve never seen something like that. I hope I don’t see it again.”
The teams, fans and everyone else was kept off the floor and out of the area until the man was subdued. And having been through that entrance before many times myself, I’m not sure how it happened either because there always seems to be plenty of security there. Although, I suspect there will be more security now.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 12
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 13
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 7
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay