Mar 21, 2011, 5:42 PM EDT
You didn’t think we could tie the devastating earthquake and tsunami into the NBA, but you underestimate us.
First a little background: The NBA and many major sporting events for the past few years (even before 3D technology was really available for home use) were being filmed in 3D also. Things like the Olympics (some of Beijing was shot that way by NBC), the Super Bowl, NBA finals and so on. The reason is that if (when?) 3D home technology became commonplace they would have these sporting events in the archive and in 3D.
The NBA this season has already shown a Knicks/Heat game in 3D and was committed to 14 games through the playoffs and NBA finals.
So, the NBA has these grand plans for a 3D finals… and now we get to Japan, as explained by the Hollywood Reporter. Guess where the tape that all this 3D stuff is shot on is produced?
Following the suspension of operations at various Sony manufacturing plants — as well as other manufacturers’ plants — in Japan that were damaged by the earthquake and tsunami, the broadcasting, production and postproduction industries are facing an impending tape shortage and scrambling to secure what inventory remains.
The NBA, for example, was looking to secure enough tape to get through the NBA Finals in June and its planned 3D broadcasts.
“It was like a bank run,” said one postproduction insider of the industrywide scramble.
Not sure it impacts your day-to-day life, but thought you all might find this interesting.
Also, if you can, try to give a little something (through NBA Cares if you wish) to help the people of the region devastated by that quake and tsunami. That’s not about basketball, that’s about being human and helping others.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 18
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 19
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4