Mar 21, 2011, 5:42 PM EDT
You didn’t think we could tie the devastating earthquake and tsunami into the NBA, but you underestimate us.
First a little background: The NBA and many major sporting events for the past few years (even before 3D technology was really available for home use) were being filmed in 3D also. Things like the Olympics (some of Beijing was shot that way by NBC), the Super Bowl, NBA finals and so on. The reason is that if (when?) 3D home technology became commonplace they would have these sporting events in the archive and in 3D.
The NBA this season has already shown a Knicks/Heat game in 3D and was committed to 14 games through the playoffs and NBA finals.
So, the NBA has these grand plans for a 3D finals… and now we get to Japan, as explained by the Hollywood Reporter. Guess where the tape that all this 3D stuff is shot on is produced?
Following the suspension of operations at various Sony manufacturing plants — as well as other manufacturers’ plants — in Japan that were damaged by the earthquake and tsunami, the broadcasting, production and postproduction industries are facing an impending tape shortage and scrambling to secure what inventory remains.
The NBA, for example, was looking to secure enough tape to get through the NBA Finals in June and its planned 3D broadcasts.
“It was like a bank run,” said one postproduction insider of the industrywide scramble.
Not sure it impacts your day-to-day life, but thought you all might find this interesting.
Also, if you can, try to give a little something (through NBA Cares if you wish) to help the people of the region devastated by that quake and tsunami. That’s not about basketball, that’s about being human and helping others.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 0
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 8
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 20
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15