Mar 21, 2011, 5:42 PM EDT
You didn’t think we could tie the devastating earthquake and tsunami into the NBA, but you underestimate us.
First a little background: The NBA and many major sporting events for the past few years (even before 3D technology was really available for home use) were being filmed in 3D also. Things like the Olympics (some of Beijing was shot that way by NBC), the Super Bowl, NBA finals and so on. The reason is that if (when?) 3D home technology became commonplace they would have these sporting events in the archive and in 3D.
The NBA this season has already shown a Knicks/Heat game in 3D and was committed to 14 games through the playoffs and NBA finals.
So, the NBA has these grand plans for a 3D finals… and now we get to Japan, as explained by the Hollywood Reporter. Guess where the tape that all this 3D stuff is shot on is produced?
Following the suspension of operations at various Sony manufacturing plants — as well as other manufacturers’ plants — in Japan that were damaged by the earthquake and tsunami, the broadcasting, production and postproduction industries are facing an impending tape shortage and scrambling to secure what inventory remains.
The NBA, for example, was looking to secure enough tape to get through the NBA Finals in June and its planned 3D broadcasts.
“It was like a bank run,” said one postproduction insider of the industrywide scramble.
Not sure it impacts your day-to-day life, but thought you all might find this interesting.
Also, if you can, try to give a little something (through NBA Cares if you wish) to help the people of the region devastated by that quake and tsunami. That’s not about basketball, that’s about being human and helping others.
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 2
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 31
- Report: Vinny Del Negro to meet with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling this weekend 3
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose 32
- George Hill injury jeopardizes Pacers’ identity 1
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay