Mar 21, 2011, 10:02 AM EST
In case you missed it Sunday, the Knicks two superstars playing in the vaunted “seven seconds of less” offense managed to put up just 9 points in the first quarter Sunday against the Bucks. Then, while they put up 32 in the next quarter, the Knicks went on to lose the game.
Carmelo Anthony told Knicks fans not to worry (via the New York Daily News), this teams should be able to get it all together by next season.
“For everyone to get 100% on the same page, it might take next season,” Anthony said. “But right now, in this short period of time, we’ve just got to come together as a unit. As far as everybody jelling and the chemistry and clicking to where we want to be at, it’s going to take some time….
“We’re losing games, some games that we’re supposed to win,” Anthony said. “But that’s neither here nor there. It’s a learning process. We ain’t even been together three weeks. So I’m not really concerned about where we are as a team or us losing games or winning games. As long as we get better at the things we need to get better at, I’m cool with it.”
That should go over well in New York, a fan base know for calmly and rationally taking in what their players say and not just flying off with wild overreactions.
Thing is, he’s right.
Chemistry of the kind that allows a team to really understand each other in an offense that calls for improvisation takes time. A training camp would be ideal. Time for new point guard Chauncey Billups to learn where his new teammates want the ball, time for those players to understand how Billups runs the game. And the Mike D’Antoni offense sets up an outline for that improvisation to take place inside, the new guys are still learning their way through that.
Plus they are still learning D’Antoni’s legendarily complex defensive schemes (*cough, cough*).
The Knicks need to find some kind of offensive groove in the final weeks of the regular season because their only hope of causing damage in the playoffs is to just outscore teams with their offensive firepower.
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 0
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 0
- Report: Knicks’ owner shoots down trade to get team Kyle Lowry 10
- The Extra Pass: Deron Williams is the difference for Nets; plus Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA grades: Any more questions for LaMarcus Aldridge? Didn’t think so. 5
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)