Mar 20, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
At first, we took it as a sign that Mike D’Antoni was not a rigid, my-way-or-the-highway coach. He adjusted his system, putting in more isolatons and post up plays and scaling back some on the up-tempo, pick-and-roll offense.
Except, it’s not really working. The team is struggling, and that includes an ugly loss to the Pistons Friday.
Amar’e Stoudemire wants to go back to what works, he told Alan Hahn at Newsday.
“Absolutely, absolutely, that’s the way we’re going to win,” Stoudemire said of the need to get back to the up-tempo, pick-and-roll style. “That’s the way we’ve proven that works with the team we had before the trade and it can work with the guys we have now. It’s just a matter of us buying into it and really trying to understand that our ultimate goal is to make the playoffs and see what we can do.”
How is that going over with the newcomers?
Well, Chauncey Billups is a professional about, he gets his job is to make his teammates happy. It’s just with few practices everyone is not on the same page yet.
“It takes a while, man. I’m not being impatient,” Billups said.
Carmelo Anthony? The guy Stoudemire is clearly talking to? We don’t know, he has sulked through games and didn’t speak to the media after Friday’s game. (Although he said that’s just because he was mad at the referees, that he really wants to play seven seconds or less basketball. We’ll see.)
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 74
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20