Mar 20, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
At first, we took it as a sign that Mike D’Antoni was not a rigid, my-way-or-the-highway coach. He adjusted his system, putting in more isolatons and post up plays and scaling back some on the up-tempo, pick-and-roll offense.
Except, it’s not really working. The team is struggling, and that includes an ugly loss to the Pistons Friday.
Amar’e Stoudemire wants to go back to what works, he told Alan Hahn at Newsday.
“Absolutely, absolutely, that’s the way we’re going to win,” Stoudemire said of the need to get back to the up-tempo, pick-and-roll style. “That’s the way we’ve proven that works with the team we had before the trade and it can work with the guys we have now. It’s just a matter of us buying into it and really trying to understand that our ultimate goal is to make the playoffs and see what we can do.”
How is that going over with the newcomers?
Well, Chauncey Billups is a professional about, he gets his job is to make his teammates happy. It’s just with few practices everyone is not on the same page yet.
“It takes a while, man. I’m not being impatient,” Billups said.
Carmelo Anthony? The guy Stoudemire is clearly talking to? We don’t know, he has sulked through games and didn’t speak to the media after Friday’s game. (Although he said that’s just because he was mad at the referees, that he really wants to play seven seconds or less basketball. We’ll see.)
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 23
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 38
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 60
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2