Mar 20, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
At first, we took it as a sign that Mike D’Antoni was not a rigid, my-way-or-the-highway coach. He adjusted his system, putting in more isolatons and post up plays and scaling back some on the up-tempo, pick-and-roll offense.
Except, it’s not really working. The team is struggling, and that includes an ugly loss to the Pistons Friday.
Amar’e Stoudemire wants to go back to what works, he told Alan Hahn at Newsday.
“Absolutely, absolutely, that’s the way we’re going to win,” Stoudemire said of the need to get back to the up-tempo, pick-and-roll style. “That’s the way we’ve proven that works with the team we had before the trade and it can work with the guys we have now. It’s just a matter of us buying into it and really trying to understand that our ultimate goal is to make the playoffs and see what we can do.”
How is that going over with the newcomers?
Well, Chauncey Billups is a professional about, he gets his job is to make his teammates happy. It’s just with few practices everyone is not on the same page yet.
“It takes a while, man. I’m not being impatient,” Billups said.
Carmelo Anthony? The guy Stoudemire is clearly talking to? We don’t know, he has sulked through games and didn’t speak to the media after Friday’s game. (Although he said that’s just because he was mad at the referees, that he really wants to play seven seconds or less basketball. We’ll see.)
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31