Mar 20, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
At first, we took it as a sign that Mike D’Antoni was not a rigid, my-way-or-the-highway coach. He adjusted his system, putting in more isolatons and post up plays and scaling back some on the up-tempo, pick-and-roll offense.
Except, it’s not really working. The team is struggling, and that includes an ugly loss to the Pistons Friday.
Amar’e Stoudemire wants to go back to what works, he told Alan Hahn at Newsday.
“Absolutely, absolutely, that’s the way we’re going to win,” Stoudemire said of the need to get back to the up-tempo, pick-and-roll style. “That’s the way we’ve proven that works with the team we had before the trade and it can work with the guys we have now. It’s just a matter of us buying into it and really trying to understand that our ultimate goal is to make the playoffs and see what we can do.”
How is that going over with the newcomers?
Well, Chauncey Billups is a professional about, he gets his job is to make his teammates happy. It’s just with few practices everyone is not on the same page yet.
“It takes a while, man. I’m not being impatient,” Billups said.
Carmelo Anthony? The guy Stoudemire is clearly talking to? We don’t know, he has sulked through games and didn’t speak to the media after Friday’s game. (Although he said that’s just because he was mad at the referees, that he really wants to play seven seconds or less basketball. We’ll see.)
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 11
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 38
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 22
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 100
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27