Mar 20, 2011, 11:40 AM EST
At first, we took it as a sign that Mike D’Antoni was not a rigid, my-way-or-the-highway coach. He adjusted his system, putting in more isolatons and post up plays and scaling back some on the up-tempo, pick-and-roll offense.
Except, it’s not really working. The team is struggling, and that includes an ugly loss to the Pistons Friday.
Amar’e Stoudemire wants to go back to what works, he told Alan Hahn at Newsday.
“Absolutely, absolutely, that’s the way we’re going to win,” Stoudemire said of the need to get back to the up-tempo, pick-and-roll style. “That’s the way we’ve proven that works with the team we had before the trade and it can work with the guys we have now. It’s just a matter of us buying into it and really trying to understand that our ultimate goal is to make the playoffs and see what we can do.”
How is that going over with the newcomers?
Well, Chauncey Billups is a professional about, he gets his job is to make his teammates happy. It’s just with few practices everyone is not on the same page yet.
“It takes a while, man. I’m not being impatient,” Billups said.
Carmelo Anthony? The guy Stoudemire is clearly talking to? We don’t know, he has sulked through games and didn’t speak to the media after Friday’s game. (Although he said that’s just because he was mad at the referees, that he really wants to play seven seconds or less basketball. We’ll see.)
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 5
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 15
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 11
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15