Mar 20, 2011, 12:28 PM EST
You’d think Larry Brown’s time as an NBA coach is done after leaving Charlotte earlier this season, but can you really ever underestimate a front office bringing in a guy off the coaching carousel? I think some teams probably made calls to see if Cotton Fitzsimmons was available this summer.
“Kids want to be in the NBA, and if you can coach and teach and get them ready for the NBA and you’re at a good school, I think you’d have an unbelievable head start on a lot of people. I’ve always tried to get players better, whether as a college coach or a pro coach. Two minutes on the floor on the first day of practice, players know whether you can coach or not.”
Let us not forget that Larry Brown has won an NCAA championship (thank you Danny Manning). And frankly, the guy can coach. And in college he would get the kind of player turnover he seems to desire.
But with Brown at age 70, he’d need a good young staff that could recruit and connect with players. Plus, he comes with an interesting recruiting pitch.
“I can recruit because I know what it takes to get to the next level and I can be honest with these kids. I can’t tell you how many college players I spoke with during my NBA career that I urged to return because they aren’t ready. I want to go into a recruit’s home and say, ‘Look, I know you want to be in the NBA and I’ll get you ready. But nothing bad ever came from getting a degree. Let’s have something to fall back on.’”
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 3
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60