Mar 20, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT
You’d think Larry Brown’s time as an NBA coach is done after leaving Charlotte earlier this season, but can you really ever underestimate a front office bringing in a guy off the coaching carousel? I think some teams probably made calls to see if Cotton Fitzsimmons was available this summer.
“Kids want to be in the NBA, and if you can coach and teach and get them ready for the NBA and you’re at a good school, I think you’d have an unbelievable head start on a lot of people. I’ve always tried to get players better, whether as a college coach or a pro coach. Two minutes on the floor on the first day of practice, players know whether you can coach or not.”
Let us not forget that Larry Brown has won an NCAA championship (thank you Danny Manning). And frankly, the guy can coach. And in college he would get the kind of player turnover he seems to desire.
But with Brown at age 70, he’d need a good young staff that could recruit and connect with players. Plus, he comes with an interesting recruiting pitch.
“I can recruit because I know what it takes to get to the next level and I can be honest with these kids. I can’t tell you how many college players I spoke with during my NBA career that I urged to return because they aren’t ready. I want to go into a recruit’s home and say, ‘Look, I know you want to be in the NBA and I’ll get you ready. But nothing bad ever came from getting a degree. Let’s have something to fall back on.’”
- Hawks start hot, finish cold, Wizards take Game 1 on road 104-98. 2
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Preview: Washington Wizards vs. Atlanta Hawks 3
- Adjusting for playoff rotations round two: Watch out for the Wizards 1
- Hobbled Chris Paul, Clippers’ role players do just enough to dethrone Spurs in Game 7 19
- Chris Paul banks in game winner to lift Clippers past Spurs (VIDEO) 28
- Report: Bulls’ Mike Dunleavy won’t be suspended for Game 1 against Cavaliers 22
- PBT Extra: Can Clippers build on Game 6 win? 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Derrick Rose got it done on both ends in first round 2