Mar 20, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT
You’d think Larry Brown’s time as an NBA coach is done after leaving Charlotte earlier this season, but can you really ever underestimate a front office bringing in a guy off the coaching carousel? I think some teams probably made calls to see if Cotton Fitzsimmons was available this summer.
“Kids want to be in the NBA, and if you can coach and teach and get them ready for the NBA and you’re at a good school, I think you’d have an unbelievable head start on a lot of people. I’ve always tried to get players better, whether as a college coach or a pro coach. Two minutes on the floor on the first day of practice, players know whether you can coach or not.”
Let us not forget that Larry Brown has won an NCAA championship (thank you Danny Manning). And frankly, the guy can coach. And in college he would get the kind of player turnover he seems to desire.
But with Brown at age 70, he’d need a good young staff that could recruit and connect with players. Plus, he comes with an interesting recruiting pitch.
“I can recruit because I know what it takes to get to the next level and I can be honest with these kids. I can’t tell you how many college players I spoke with during my NBA career that I urged to return because they aren’t ready. I want to go into a recruit’s home and say, ‘Look, I know you want to be in the NBA and I’ll get you ready. But nothing bad ever came from getting a degree. Let’s have something to fall back on.’”
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 19
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 3
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 18
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 28
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 24
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 10
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 19
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16