Larry Brown now talking about return to college coaching

Mar 20, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Charlotte Bobcats Getty Images

You’d think Larry Brown’s time as an NBA coach is done after leaving Charlotte earlier this season, but can you really ever underestimate a front office bringing in a guy off the coaching carousel? I think some teams probably made calls to see if Cotton Fitzsimmons was available this summer.

But Larry Brown isn’t waiting for his phone to ring, he’s thinking about coaching college again, he told Yahoo (via Hoops Hype).

“Kids want to be in the NBA, and if you can coach and teach and get them ready for the NBA and you’re at a good school, I think you’d have an unbelievable head start on a lot of people. I’ve always tried to get players better, whether as a college coach or a pro coach. Two minutes on the floor on the first day of practice, players know whether you can coach or not.”

Let us not forget that Larry Brown has won an NCAA championship (thank you Danny Manning). And frankly, the guy can coach. And in college he would get the kind of player turnover he seems to desire.

But with Brown at age 70, he’d need a good young staff that could recruit and connect with players. Plus, he comes with an interesting recruiting pitch.

“I can recruit because I know what it takes to get to the next level and I can be honest with these kids. I can’t tell you how many college players I spoke with during my NBA career that I urged to return because they aren’t ready. I want to go into a recruit’s home and say, ‘Look, I know you want to be in the NBA and I’ll get you ready. But nothing bad ever came from getting a degree. Let’s have something to fall back on.’”

1. zackd2 - Mar 20, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Translation: I want to exploit your talents for 4 years while I, the university, ESPN, NCAA, CBS, TNT, TBS, etc makes millllllllllllllions and you make nothing.

• goforthanddie - Mar 20, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Yeah, a completely free 4-5 year ride, with better living arrangements than other students, much better eating arrangements, all the academic support you can eat…What a ripoff. Especially for the 99% of college athletes who never make a dime professionally.

• zackd2 - Mar 20, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Meanwhile Coach K signs a LIFETIME coach, so he’s getting paid millions until he walks away. Calhoun gets millions, they all get millions. I wonder what their living arrangements are. I wonder what their kid’s private school arrangements are.

I can go get a Kemba Walker jersey for $75 and who gets that money? Some dude sitting in an office, while Kemba is the one that’s carrying the team into the tournament.

“Especially for the 99% of college athletes who never make a dime professionally.”
        Exactly. Yet their coachs, schools, conferences, and TV make millions.

2. lakesidelakersfan - Mar 20, 2011 at 2:53 PM

This guy is the coaching version of “on and done”.

3. henryd3rd - Mar 21, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Can Larry still coach? MJ fired him and They are both from that North Carolina University family so there had to be some problems for them to part in the middle of the season.

He’s probably just musing; plus he’s 70 years old and do you really think some 17 year old hot shot’s parents will want to take a shot on him packing his bags and leaving in the middle of the season? Some school might take a flyer on him; but I doubt if he can be successful in the college ranks again.

4. BC - Mar 21, 2011 at 8:58 AM

This guy is a chipwich. He was John Calipari before there was a John Calipari. Hey Larry, go to a Big East school other than UConn and get them on probation so we have one less team to compete with.
    Chipwich.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches