Lakers Bynum suspended two games for flagrant foul

Mar 20, 2011, 2:46 PM EDT

Andrew Bynum AP

Andrew Bynum’s flagrant foul on Minnesota’s Michael Beasley has led to a two game suspension by the league, one of the harshest penalties this season.

We told you about Bynum being ejected Friday night, and he deserved to be tossed. Bynum was late on his rotation (not that Matt Barnes did a lot to slow Beasley on the perimeter) and decided to go with the hard foul. But he did it shoulder/elbow first, more like a hockey check.

I can see the suspension. I’m not sure how this warrants two games over some of the other hard fouls this season that got one game.

Bynum will miss the Lakers games Sunday against the Trail Blazers and Tuesday against the Phoenix Suns.

The Suns Aaron Brooks was suspended for a game by the league. Against the Warriors Friday night Brooks threw the ball and it hit an official in the leg. That’s a no-no. He sat out Sunday against the Clippers.

1. ahemahem - Mar 20, 2011 at 2:48 PM

1 game tops. Two shows anti-big man prejudice. There have been much harder flagrants this year.

2. lunasceiling - Mar 20, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I’d have to agree: one game would have been more in line with what’s been happening all season. As very much a non-fan of the Lakers, that was hard for me to type…but fair’s fair. =P

• lakesidelakersfan - Mar 20, 2011 at 9:20 PM

As a long time laker homer, I’m glad he got 2 games. His young body has a young mind too. Better to get this under control now, than in June. The league took this opportunity to slow down the physicality of this season.

3. BraveCape.com - Mar 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM

The NBA has the best And the Worst refs in all of sports. So inconsistent and arrogant. It was a hard foul, but not the worst this season by any means. We can still beat Portland and the Suns without him though. THREE!!!

• tubal22 - Mar 20, 2011 at 6:22 PM

What do the refs have to do with this?

• craigw24 - Mar 20, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Look back at the Eric Dampier foul that was similar to Andrew’s — that one didn’t even warrant a one-game suspension. When the league reacts to the result more than the foul I get the feeling they are managing games as a public relations exercise, rather than a sporting event. That is not a good situation in sports, because it violates the level field most of us desire for sports.

4. davidly - Mar 20, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Dunno. I mean, they should be consistent, and the game is physical. On the other hand, Drew did seem to give it a little extra shove there at the end – sending a message maybe, because of what happened on the previous play. Well, the league just sent one back.

5. BraveCape.com - Mar 20, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Adding to my post above^: Good points all.Most of the Refs actually are pretty good but still a little inconsistent. LOVE the Lakers, but never actually been a Bynum fan. That foul was the reason. Just seems to leave his brain at home sometimes. We were in total control and he does this. I understand that he is pumped about how well he is playing,and Phil always saying to play hard till the end… BUT it scares me that he could possibly do this down the line in the playoffs. If he just played a little smarter along with harder he will be great.

6. readysethike - Mar 21, 2011 at 8:34 AM

He deserved two games, and I dont kno why he did it, I mean the previous play he got hung on the rim, did beasley laugh at him? This foul was unwarranted

7. omniusprime - Mar 21, 2011 at 9:24 AM

The biased NBA refs gave Bynum a wrongful flagrant foul 2, he was just giving Measly Beasley a hard foul to send a message. Sorry but a one game suspension was the most this ticky tack foul deserved. Looks like the NBA is trying very hard to make it difficult on the Lakers to Threepeat. About time the biased refs start calling all the fouls against Kobe Bryant, just like they call fouls everytime someone breathes hard on Crybabies James and Wade. NBA refs need to be more consistent in calling fouls!

• lebronsinsecurity - Mar 21, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I agree that it should only be a 1 game suspension.. But a ticky tack foul?? I was at the game and there was nothing ticky tack about it, it was just plain stupid.. I have no idea what Drew was thinking.. He should of just used his hands to push him, not body check him in plain sight of the refs and the fans.. Everyone in my section was saying “what the h*ll is he doing, while everyone else who didn’t have front side view was complaining and booing at the refs and Beasley.. It was goofy to see Ron and Drew get so worked up playing against the t-wolves

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches