Mar 20, 2011, 10:32 PM EDT
Late in the fourth quarter of the Clippers’ Sunday afternoon game against the Suns, Blake Griffin absolutely posterized Marcin Gortat. Taking off from the middle of lane, Griffin skied so high over the seven-footer that he literally threw the ball down into the basket to finish the play.
NBA.com has the video, which you need to go watch right now if you haven’t already seen it.
Unfortunately for Griffin, though, the spectacular play didn’t count. Gortat was standing just outside the restricted area, and the collision between the two players was ruled an offensive foul on Griffin — his sixth of the game, which resulted in a disqualification. He also picked up a technical on the way to the bench for his dramatic reaction to it all.
Griffin was clearly frustrated by a series of calls or non-calls he felt should have gone differently over the previous few possessions. He picked up his last three fouls in just 29 seconds of game time: the first was on the offensive end, and the second came on a play where Griffin seemingly intentionally fouled Hakim Warrick while going for a loose ball, after Warrick caught him in the chin with an elbow, but with no call from the officials.
The dunk was Griffin’s attempt to channel those frustrations into a positive on the court, and it was an incredibly athletic play. But he needs to learn to avoid those situations when he’s saddled with five fouls.
Despite the fact that the dunk didn’t count, it was still a memorable play, and one that will likely be added to Griffin’s long list of ridiculous highlights from this season. As for the man who was dunked upon, Gortat told his teammate Jared Dudley afterward that once he decided to stand in there and take the contact, all he could do was hope for the best.
“I was hoping that he wasn’t actually going to crush my face,” Gortat said. “I just decided to hold my ground, and pray.”
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25