Mar 20, 2011, 10:32 PM EDT
Late in the fourth quarter of the Clippers’ Sunday afternoon game against the Suns, Blake Griffin absolutely posterized Marcin Gortat. Taking off from the middle of lane, Griffin skied so high over the seven-footer that he literally threw the ball down into the basket to finish the play.
NBA.com has the video, which you need to go watch right now if you haven’t already seen it.
Unfortunately for Griffin, though, the spectacular play didn’t count. Gortat was standing just outside the restricted area, and the collision between the two players was ruled an offensive foul on Griffin — his sixth of the game, which resulted in a disqualification. He also picked up a technical on the way to the bench for his dramatic reaction to it all.
Griffin was clearly frustrated by a series of calls or non-calls he felt should have gone differently over the previous few possessions. He picked up his last three fouls in just 29 seconds of game time: the first was on the offensive end, and the second came on a play where Griffin seemingly intentionally fouled Hakim Warrick while going for a loose ball, after Warrick caught him in the chin with an elbow, but with no call from the officials.
The dunk was Griffin’s attempt to channel those frustrations into a positive on the court, and it was an incredibly athletic play. But he needs to learn to avoid those situations when he’s saddled with five fouls.
Despite the fact that the dunk didn’t count, it was still a memorable play, and one that will likely be added to Griffin’s long list of ridiculous highlights from this season. As for the man who was dunked upon, Gortat told his teammate Jared Dudley afterward that once he decided to stand in there and take the contact, all he could do was hope for the best.
“I was hoping that he wasn’t actually going to crush my face,” Gortat said. “I just decided to hold my ground, and pray.”
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4