Mar 19, 2011, 8:00 PM EDT
Interesting post put up at Hoopdata, simply looking at playoff team’s records since the All-Star Break (coming into Saturday’s games).
What you notice is some team’s stumbling to the finish line in the East.
New York 7-7
We knew the Bulls have been getting healthy and playing their best ball, but how much better they’re playing right now than the other contenders is really noticeable. Miami is under .500, and Boston has cooled off considerably after the break. We knew that, but to look at the teams ranked like this brings a new perspective to it.
Philadelphia is just playing quality ball and getting the most out of the team they have. Doug Collins has really done a masterful job. This is the team the top seeds in the East may want to avoid in the first round — even if you beat them it will be a longer, harder struggle than other teams will face. A healthy and consistent Elton Brand has made a difference in Philly (he may not have been what he was five years ago, but he’s back to being a solid part of the team).
Atlanta has had a crazy drop off. What is more shocking is that Larry Drew took over for Mike Woodson and finally introduced movement into the offense — no more “iso Joe” — and the offense got worse. Much worse, like 5.5 points per 100 possessions worse. Going from second in the league in offensive rating last year to 20 this season. With basically the same players, all still theoretically in their prime. They are getting blown out by every playoff team they seem to face lately.
All these notes come with one big caveat — Boston was 11-11 in their last 22 last season, but got healthy and rested, entered the playoffs where they got their groove and rode it to the finals. So, don’t read too much into these records. But it is interesting.
By the way, follow the link to the article and you see everybody in the West is over .500. The Lakers are hot (11-1) but nobody is cold.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29