Mar 19, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
A 12:30 p.m. local start time for a game between the Clippers and Cavaliers at Staples Center — especially on the first weekend of the NCAA college basketball tournament — isn’t likely to get many folks excited. Unfortunately for police, one man decided to bring the excitement to the arena himself.
The Associated Press reports that a man with a knife had a standoff with police on the Staples Center floor about 90 minutes before tip-off on Saturday. The incident lasted 20 minutes before police were able to arrest the man after shooting him with rubber bullets, according to the Plain Dealer‘s Mary Schmitt Boyer.
Staples Center GM Lee Zeidman briefed the media and said the man entered the media/employee entrance with a steak knife threatening violence, according to Danny Savitzky of Clippers.com
Players were in their respective locker rooms, and any fans that had started to make their way into the arena were evacuated once this all got started. Thankfully, no one was hurt — except for the man who was arrested, perhaps.
As for the game itself, it will be the first time that Baron Davis returns to Los Angeles to face his former team, after being dealt to the Cavaliers at the trade deadline. Due to injury and the recent passing of his grandmother, Davis has only appeared in four of the Cavs’ 10 contests since the trade, and left the last one early due to back spasms.
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 0
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28