Mar 19, 2011, 3:49 PM EST
A 12:30 p.m. local start time for a game between the Clippers and Cavaliers at Staples Center — especially on the first weekend of the NCAA college basketball tournament — isn’t likely to get many folks excited. Unfortunately for police, one man decided to bring the excitement to the arena himself.
The Associated Press reports that a man with a knife had a standoff with police on the Staples Center floor about 90 minutes before tip-off on Saturday. The incident lasted 20 minutes before police were able to arrest the man after shooting him with rubber bullets, according to the Plain Dealer‘s Mary Schmitt Boyer.
Staples Center GM Lee Zeidman briefed the media and said the man entered the media/employee entrance with a steak knife threatening violence, according to Danny Savitzky of Clippers.com
Players were in their respective locker rooms, and any fans that had started to make their way into the arena were evacuated once this all got started. Thankfully, no one was hurt — except for the man who was arrested, perhaps.
As for the game itself, it will be the first time that Baron Davis returns to Los Angeles to face his former team, after being dealt to the Cavaliers at the trade deadline. Due to injury and the recent passing of his grandmother, Davis has only appeared in four of the Cavs’ 10 contests since the trade, and left the last one early due to back spasms.
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 12
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2