Mar 19, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
A 12:30 p.m. local start time for a game between the Clippers and Cavaliers at Staples Center — especially on the first weekend of the NCAA college basketball tournament — isn’t likely to get many folks excited. Unfortunately for police, one man decided to bring the excitement to the arena himself.
The Associated Press reports that a man with a knife had a standoff with police on the Staples Center floor about 90 minutes before tip-off on Saturday. The incident lasted 20 minutes before police were able to arrest the man after shooting him with rubber bullets, according to the Plain Dealer‘s Mary Schmitt Boyer.
Staples Center GM Lee Zeidman briefed the media and said the man entered the media/employee entrance with a steak knife threatening violence, according to Danny Savitzky of Clippers.com
Players were in their respective locker rooms, and any fans that had started to make their way into the arena were evacuated once this all got started. Thankfully, no one was hurt — except for the man who was arrested, perhaps.
As for the game itself, it will be the first time that Baron Davis returns to Los Angeles to face his former team, after being dealt to the Cavaliers at the trade deadline. Due to injury and the recent passing of his grandmother, Davis has only appeared in four of the Cavs’ 10 contests since the trade, and left the last one early due to back spasms.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 55
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19