Mar 19, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
A 12:30 p.m. local start time for a game between the Clippers and Cavaliers at Staples Center — especially on the first weekend of the NCAA college basketball tournament — isn’t likely to get many folks excited. Unfortunately for police, one man decided to bring the excitement to the arena himself.
The Associated Press reports that a man with a knife had a standoff with police on the Staples Center floor about 90 minutes before tip-off on Saturday. The incident lasted 20 minutes before police were able to arrest the man after shooting him with rubber bullets, according to the Plain Dealer‘s Mary Schmitt Boyer.
Staples Center GM Lee Zeidman briefed the media and said the man entered the media/employee entrance with a steak knife threatening violence, according to Danny Savitzky of Clippers.com
Players were in their respective locker rooms, and any fans that had started to make their way into the arena were evacuated once this all got started. Thankfully, no one was hurt — except for the man who was arrested, perhaps.
As for the game itself, it will be the first time that Baron Davis returns to Los Angeles to face his former team, after being dealt to the Cavaliers at the trade deadline. Due to injury and the recent passing of his grandmother, Davis has only appeared in four of the Cavs’ 10 contests since the trade, and left the last one early due to back spasms.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30