Mar 19, 2011, 12:55 PM EDT
Deron Williams had two injured wrists when he was traded from Utah to New Jersey. He’s played through the pain and said it would take weeks of rest (around a month) for his wrists to get right. It is altering his shot — he is hitting just 32.7 percent of his shots since coming to the Nets, well off the 45.8 percent he hit in Utah. He has hit just 28.6 percent of his threes with New Jersey, down from 34.5 percent with Utah.
Following another painful blow to one wrist on Friday night in Milwaukee, aggravating the injury, the Nets are thinking about having their franchise player take some time — maybe the rest of the season — off to get healthy, according to the Star-Ledger.
“I don’t think we can continue every game at this rate,” (Nets coach Avery) Johnson said after the Nets dropped their second straight, a 110-95 decision to the Bucks at the Bradley Center.
“I love playing basketball. I hate sitting out. I hate missing games,” Williams said. “It’s tough for me because I don’t just want to sit out. It might be the best thing, but we’ll see how it goes.”
The Nets are not making the playoffs. They had that dream of a little run to get them in position in the East after the trade, but they Nets are still not good. They are 7 games back of Indiana with 15 to play. They are toast.
There is no reason for Williams to suffer through this, no reason to risk things getting worse for the sake of a few meaningless wins. Right now Williams does not need surgery. Why push it?
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars