Mar 19, 2011, 12:55 PM EDT
Deron Williams had two injured wrists when he was traded from Utah to New Jersey. He’s played through the pain and said it would take weeks of rest (around a month) for his wrists to get right. It is altering his shot — he is hitting just 32.7 percent of his shots since coming to the Nets, well off the 45.8 percent he hit in Utah. He has hit just 28.6 percent of his threes with New Jersey, down from 34.5 percent with Utah.
Following another painful blow to one wrist on Friday night in Milwaukee, aggravating the injury, the Nets are thinking about having their franchise player take some time — maybe the rest of the season — off to get healthy, according to the Star-Ledger.
“I don’t think we can continue every game at this rate,” (Nets coach Avery) Johnson said after the Nets dropped their second straight, a 110-95 decision to the Bucks at the Bradley Center.
“I love playing basketball. I hate sitting out. I hate missing games,” Williams said. “It’s tough for me because I don’t just want to sit out. It might be the best thing, but we’ll see how it goes.”
The Nets are not making the playoffs. They had that dream of a little run to get them in position in the East after the trade, but they Nets are still not good. They are 7 games back of Indiana with 15 to play. They are toast.
There is no reason for Williams to suffer through this, no reason to risk things getting worse for the sake of a few meaningless wins. Right now Williams does not need surgery. Why push it?
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11