Mar 18, 2011, 10:30 PM EDT
Detroit coach John Kuester’s random lottery starting lineups got interesting Friday night.
They didn’t have Richard Hamilton to choose from as he left to be with his family after the passing of his grandmother.
So the starting backcourt was 6’8” Tracy McGrady at the point and 6’11” Austin Daye at the two. That’s the tallest backcourt starters since 1986-87, the Associated Press credits STATS, LLC, for researching.
Frankly the shortest starter may have been Ben Wallace (even though he is listed as an inch taller than McGrady). Tayshaun Prince and rookie Greg Monroe rounded out the starting five.
It worked. McGrady and Daye were each a +6 on the night and the Pistons knocked off the Knicks, 99-95. Although really that was less about the tall starters and more about the 54 points the Pistons got from their bench players.
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 7
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 47
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 72
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 40
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3