Mar 18, 2011, 10:30 PM EDT
Detroit coach John Kuester’s random lottery starting lineups got interesting Friday night.
They didn’t have Richard Hamilton to choose from as he left to be with his family after the passing of his grandmother.
So the starting backcourt was 6’8” Tracy McGrady at the point and 6’11” Austin Daye at the two. That’s the tallest backcourt starters since 1986-87, the Associated Press credits STATS, LLC, for researching.
Frankly the shortest starter may have been Ben Wallace (even though he is listed as an inch taller than McGrady). Tayshaun Prince and rookie Greg Monroe rounded out the starting five.
It worked. McGrady and Daye were each a +6 on the night and the Pistons knocked off the Knicks, 99-95. Although really that was less about the tall starters and more about the 54 points the Pistons got from their bench players.
- 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green 0
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 15
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 9
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70