Mar 18, 2011, 6:46 PM EDT
Michael Redd is close to a second comeback from a second devastating knee surgery and he could rejoin the Milwaukee Bucks next week.
In January 2009 he tore the ACL and MCL in the left knee in a game. He rehabbed for nearly a year and returned the Bucks last season, played 18 games then tore the same two ligaments in the same knee in January against the Lakers.
He has played 44 games total over the last three seasons and is coming off another 13 months of rehab. However, if he gets in a couple full contact practices he could return the later part of next week, the Journal Sentinel reports.
“My thing is to enjoy the game of basketball because not too many people get a second chance or a third chance,” Redd said. “Whatever happens in the future will take care of itself.”
It would take a Grant Hill like resurrection of a career for Redd to play a major impact on a team at age 31 after being away from the game this much. That said, you can’t question Redd’s dedication. Redd is in the final year of a six-year, $91 million deal. A lot of players would have quit trying long ago.
“Rehab is brutal; it’s grueling,” Redd said. “I love to train, though. I wanted to see my body transform. In order for that to happen, I had to go through a rigorous rehab session every day.
“It was tedious, over 180 visits to therapy. But my body feels great, and I’m glad I went through it.”
- Kobe Bryant says elite players like LeBron, himself are underpaid. He’s right. 21
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 35
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 8
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 30
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16