Mar 18, 2011, 6:46 PM EDT
Michael Redd is close to a second comeback from a second devastating knee surgery and he could rejoin the Milwaukee Bucks next week.
In January 2009 he tore the ACL and MCL in the left knee in a game. He rehabbed for nearly a year and returned the Bucks last season, played 18 games then tore the same two ligaments in the same knee in January against the Lakers.
He has played 44 games total over the last three seasons and is coming off another 13 months of rehab. However, if he gets in a couple full contact practices he could return the later part of next week, the Journal Sentinel reports.
“My thing is to enjoy the game of basketball because not too many people get a second chance or a third chance,” Redd said. “Whatever happens in the future will take care of itself.”
It would take a Grant Hill like resurrection of a career for Redd to play a major impact on a team at age 31 after being away from the game this much. That said, you can’t question Redd’s dedication. Redd is in the final year of a six-year, $91 million deal. A lot of players would have quit trying long ago.
“Rehab is brutal; it’s grueling,” Redd said. “I love to train, though. I wanted to see my body transform. In order for that to happen, I had to go through a rigorous rehab session every day.
“It was tedious, over 180 visits to therapy. But my body feels great, and I’m glad I went through it.”
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13