Mar 18, 2011, 6:46 PM EST
Michael Redd is close to a second comeback from a second devastating knee surgery and he could rejoin the Milwaukee Bucks next week.
In January 2009 he tore the ACL and MCL in the left knee in a game. He rehabbed for nearly a year and returned the Bucks last season, played 18 games then tore the same two ligaments in the same knee in January against the Lakers.
He has played 44 games total over the last three seasons and is coming off another 13 months of rehab. However, if he gets in a couple full contact practices he could return the later part of next week, the Journal Sentinel reports.
“My thing is to enjoy the game of basketball because not too many people get a second chance or a third chance,” Redd said. “Whatever happens in the future will take care of itself.”
It would take a Grant Hill like resurrection of a career for Redd to play a major impact on a team at age 31 after being away from the game this much. That said, you can’t question Redd’s dedication. Redd is in the final year of a six-year, $91 million deal. A lot of players would have quit trying long ago.
“Rehab is brutal; it’s grueling,” Redd said. “I love to train, though. I wanted to see my body transform. In order for that to happen, I had to go through a rigorous rehab session every day.
“It was tedious, over 180 visits to therapy. But my body feels great, and I’m glad I went through it.”
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)