Mar 18, 2011, 11:30 PM EDT
You know how when you move it’s time to go through the closet and do a little pruning? Like throwing out the Neil Diamond sequin shirt that seemed like such a good idea when you were drinking in Vegas. You know, just pare down and clean up your life a little.
Rumors have been making the rounds the Kings owners are thinking like that.
With Kings address change to Anaheim next season — which is not certain but looking more and more likely — would come a house cleaning of the front office including GM Geoff Petrie, if you believe the rumors. Mark Stein had this to say at ESPN:
Sources close to the situation say that Kings co-owners Gavin and Joe Maloof, after years of patience, are giving strong consideration to starting all the way over should the team complete its increasingly anticipated relocation to Anaheim … which would mean a change in the front office, as well, before deciding whether to retain or oust (coach Paul) Westphal.
The Maloofs, sources say, are fans of former Trail Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard and increasingly considering him as a potential hire for the looming new era in Orange County as the Anaheim Royals.
That prompted the Kings to release this statement to the media Friday night.
“There is absolutely no truth that we are considering anyone else for our General Manager position. We consider Geoff Petrie to be the best in the business and look forward to continuing our resurgence with him at the helm.”
Well, that’s more of a statement than they have issued about the Anaheim rumors.
But it’s a little hard to totally buy in. Reports the Maloofs have been thinking house cleaning have been going on for a while. There may well be more than smoke there. That, however, is very different the Maloofs walking in the room and firing Petrie. But it’s something to watch after the move is announced in April.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47