Mar 18, 2011, 11:30 PM EDT
You know how when you move it’s time to go through the closet and do a little pruning? Like throwing out the Neil Diamond sequin shirt that seemed like such a good idea when you were drinking in Vegas. You know, just pare down and clean up your life a little.
Rumors have been making the rounds the Kings owners are thinking like that.
With Kings address change to Anaheim next season — which is not certain but looking more and more likely — would come a house cleaning of the front office including GM Geoff Petrie, if you believe the rumors. Mark Stein had this to say at ESPN:
Sources close to the situation say that Kings co-owners Gavin and Joe Maloof, after years of patience, are giving strong consideration to starting all the way over should the team complete its increasingly anticipated relocation to Anaheim … which would mean a change in the front office, as well, before deciding whether to retain or oust (coach Paul) Westphal.
The Maloofs, sources say, are fans of former Trail Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard and increasingly considering him as a potential hire for the looming new era in Orange County as the Anaheim Royals.
That prompted the Kings to release this statement to the media Friday night.
“There is absolutely no truth that we are considering anyone else for our General Manager position. We consider Geoff Petrie to be the best in the business and look forward to continuing our resurgence with him at the helm.”
Well, that’s more of a statement than they have issued about the Anaheim rumors.
But it’s a little hard to totally buy in. Reports the Maloofs have been thinking house cleaning have been going on for a while. There may well be more than smoke there. That, however, is very different the Maloofs walking in the room and firing Petrie. But it’s something to watch after the move is announced in April.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 37
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 48
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42