Mar 17, 2011, 9:33 PM EDT
The Sacramento Kings are close to becoming the Anaheim Royals.
It’s about money. It’s always about money. It’s luxury boxes and television markets and ways to pay off debts. It’s not about the fans — the fans in Sacramento that have been loyal to this team and are about to be screwed over.
But those fans are not giving up. The deal is not finalized a number of things could unravel it. Longshot things, but it could happen. So Kings fans keep pressing their case, hoping against hope.
Tom Ziller — one of the OG NBA bloggers and one of the elite — gave a rallying cry to Kings fans to keep up the fight at Sactown Royalty.
We fight because something can be hopeless only if we fail to provide hope. So long as we believe that the universe will smile upon our cause, so long as we believe we will be pinched and woken from this nightmare, so long as there is Tomorrow, we maintain hope. Hey, we survived the Eric Musselman era, right?
If the NBA board of governors shock the world and reject or delay the move … if Anaheim refuses to budge on a lease or revenue-sharing agreement … if the Maloofs can’t secure the funding to pay off their loan to Sacramento and a relocation fee … if anything derails what looks so certain, we don’t want to be caught flat-footed. If anything happens, we have months — months — to mobilize and help push an arena plan through. Whether it’s helping convince a prospective local owner that committed fans await, or helping Mayor Johnson canvas neighborhoods to earn support for a hotel and rental car surcharge to help fund the Taylor plan, or drumming season ticket support to make sure PBP is packed from 101 Row AA to 217 Row S — we will be there, ready to capitalize.
You know how Geoff Petrie, at his best, is ready to pounce on any opportunity? That’s us, right now. We hurt, we fume. But we’re ready. If it does happen — if they do leave, we’ll be right here. Fuming. Hurting. Fighting for an arena, fighting for a basketball team to return.
We know the odds are long. But if a chance of keeping our Kings in Sacramento exists, we will fight.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20