Mar 17, 2011, 6:53 PM EDT
Washington Wizards forward Rashard Lewis has missed the last five games with a sore right knee, and according to Michael Lee of the Washington Post, he won’t be back in action any time soon:
Rashard Lewis will leave for New York on Thursday to meet with another specialist and receive a third opinion on the sore right knee that has kept him sidelined for the past five games. After Lewis returned last week from Houston, where he got a second opinion, he determined that he would only have surgery as a final option…
…No matter what decision is made after his New York visit, Lewis is unlikely to return this season. Lewis, acquired on Dec. 18 in exchange for Gilbert Arenas, is averaging just 11.4 points and 5.8 rebounds in 32 games with the Wizards. A PRP injection, which Josh Howard had earlier this season, would force him to sit out at least another two weeks and require more time for rehabilitation.
There isn’t a lot of upside to Lewis returning this season — the Wizards have obviously been out of contention for some time now, and extra ping-pong balls will probably be more useful to them than more experience playing with the Wizards would be to Lewis. Since the Wizards owe Lewis another $21 million next season, they’re probably hoping against hope that Lewis regains some of his 2008-09 form this off-season.
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 16
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 7
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 18
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 21
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26