Mar 17, 2011, 6:53 PM EDT
Washington Wizards forward Rashard Lewis has missed the last five games with a sore right knee, and according to Michael Lee of the Washington Post, he won’t be back in action any time soon:
Rashard Lewis will leave for New York on Thursday to meet with another specialist and receive a third opinion on the sore right knee that has kept him sidelined for the past five games. After Lewis returned last week from Houston, where he got a second opinion, he determined that he would only have surgery as a final option…
…No matter what decision is made after his New York visit, Lewis is unlikely to return this season. Lewis, acquired on Dec. 18 in exchange for Gilbert Arenas, is averaging just 11.4 points and 5.8 rebounds in 32 games with the Wizards. A PRP injection, which Josh Howard had earlier this season, would force him to sit out at least another two weeks and require more time for rehabilitation.
There isn’t a lot of upside to Lewis returning this season — the Wizards have obviously been out of contention for some time now, and extra ping-pong balls will probably be more useful to them than more experience playing with the Wizards would be to Lewis. Since the Wizards owe Lewis another $21 million next season, they’re probably hoping against hope that Lewis regains some of his 2008-09 form this off-season.
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 4
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 17
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 26
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy