Mar 17, 2011, 6:53 PM EDT
Washington Wizards forward Rashard Lewis has missed the last five games with a sore right knee, and according to Michael Lee of the Washington Post, he won’t be back in action any time soon:
Rashard Lewis will leave for New York on Thursday to meet with another specialist and receive a third opinion on the sore right knee that has kept him sidelined for the past five games. After Lewis returned last week from Houston, where he got a second opinion, he determined that he would only have surgery as a final option…
…No matter what decision is made after his New York visit, Lewis is unlikely to return this season. Lewis, acquired on Dec. 18 in exchange for Gilbert Arenas, is averaging just 11.4 points and 5.8 rebounds in 32 games with the Wizards. A PRP injection, which Josh Howard had earlier this season, would force him to sit out at least another two weeks and require more time for rehabilitation.
There isn’t a lot of upside to Lewis returning this season — the Wizards have obviously been out of contention for some time now, and extra ping-pong balls will probably be more useful to them than more experience playing with the Wizards would be to Lewis. Since the Wizards owe Lewis another $21 million next season, they’re probably hoping against hope that Lewis regains some of his 2008-09 form this off-season.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 16
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 26
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 29
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30