Mar 17, 2011, 10:56 AM EDT
Rajon Rondo was 0-2 shooting with no points Wednesday night, the latest bad line in a slump that has been going on for a couple of weeks. Rondo looks slow and banged up.
Kevin Garnett stood up for Rondo, saying he is doing all he can right now, as reported by WEEI:
“Rondo’s playing hurt,” said Garnett. “He’s hurting. He’s giving us everything he has. He’s grinding. He’s playing countless minutes for us, and he’s not playing like a washed-up guy.”
We’re not talking a major injury here, we’re talking the bumps and bruises that come with an NBA season — but because of the lack of a quality point guard behind him, Rondo has played extra minutes and not had the chance to rest. The load is wearing on him.
That happens during the season, but the timing of it a month out from the playoffs has to be concerning to Celtics fans. They have a series of road trips with a lot of games ahead, and Boston is locked in a close battle with Chicago and Miami for home court in the East. They can’t really afford to rest Rondo too much, even though they need to.
Which is to say, Doc Rivers has some challenges and hard choices ahead of him getting this team ready for the playoffs.
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 1
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 1
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 14
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10