Mar 17, 2011, 10:56 AM EDT
Rajon Rondo was 0-2 shooting with no points Wednesday night, the latest bad line in a slump that has been going on for a couple of weeks. Rondo looks slow and banged up.
Kevin Garnett stood up for Rondo, saying he is doing all he can right now, as reported by WEEI:
“Rondo’s playing hurt,” said Garnett. “He’s hurting. He’s giving us everything he has. He’s grinding. He’s playing countless minutes for us, and he’s not playing like a washed-up guy.”
We’re not talking a major injury here, we’re talking the bumps and bruises that come with an NBA season — but because of the lack of a quality point guard behind him, Rondo has played extra minutes and not had the chance to rest. The load is wearing on him.
That happens during the season, but the timing of it a month out from the playoffs has to be concerning to Celtics fans. They have a series of road trips with a lot of games ahead, and Boston is locked in a close battle with Chicago and Miami for home court in the East. They can’t really afford to rest Rondo too much, even though they need to.
Which is to say, Doc Rivers has some challenges and hard choices ahead of him getting this team ready for the playoffs.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 8
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 5
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 11
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4