Mar 17, 2011, 5:18 PM EST
Blake Griffin, you want to know how you’ve really made it? When opposing bloggers — like Liberty Ballers Wednesday night — write things like this about you:
Griffin flopped and bitched the entire night en route to a disappointing 14 points, 8 rebounds and 6 fouls. Both Elton Brand and the Sixers’ team defense/gameplan deserve tremendous credit for stifling the one Clipper who had the potential to beat them single-handedly.
Another part of being the guy who can beat teams single-handedly is that you get played physically, and Griffin has been getting a lot of that, too. Like when Tony Battie took him down hard late in the first half of that Sixers win. Griffin got up from that looking like a guy ready to throw down. (A double technical was assessed.)
Griffin says he has had enough of this treatment. He explained to the Los Angeles Times it’s time he pushed back.
“I just felt like they had let things go way too much up to that point. That’s what happens when you let things go when they don’t call fouls and things like that happen. … And I thought it was ridiculous. So I’m not going to take that. … I’ve done it too much this season. It got to me.”
Griffin and Dwight Howard need to sit down and talk about this anger. Shaq can be the moderator (he got fouled harder and more often back in the day than either of them).
No doubt, those two (and some other guys around the league) take more fouls than smaller players. It’s not fair. And fair is irrelevant. Defend your space, push back if you must.
But remember: Being a big man means sometimes being the bigger man — you can’t retaliate. You need to pick your spots.
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 14
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 7
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)