Mar 17, 2011, 5:18 PM EST
Blake Griffin, you want to know how you’ve really made it? When opposing bloggers — like Liberty Ballers Wednesday night — write things like this about you:
Griffin flopped and bitched the entire night en route to a disappointing 14 points, 8 rebounds and 6 fouls. Both Elton Brand and the Sixers’ team defense/gameplan deserve tremendous credit for stifling the one Clipper who had the potential to beat them single-handedly.
Another part of being the guy who can beat teams single-handedly is that you get played physically, and Griffin has been getting a lot of that, too. Like when Tony Battie took him down hard late in the first half of that Sixers win. Griffin got up from that looking like a guy ready to throw down. (A double technical was assessed.)
Griffin says he has had enough of this treatment. He explained to the Los Angeles Times it’s time he pushed back.
“I just felt like they had let things go way too much up to that point. That’s what happens when you let things go when they don’t call fouls and things like that happen. … And I thought it was ridiculous. So I’m not going to take that. … I’ve done it too much this season. It got to me.”
Griffin and Dwight Howard need to sit down and talk about this anger. Shaq can be the moderator (he got fouled harder and more often back in the day than either of them).
No doubt, those two (and some other guys around the league) take more fouls than smaller players. It’s not fair. And fair is irrelevant. Defend your space, push back if you must.
But remember: Being a big man means sometimes being the bigger man — you can’t retaliate. You need to pick your spots.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 7
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 41
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 10
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 8
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 15
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 29
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 7
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 5