Mar 17, 2011, 10:52 PM EDT
We told you that the Lakers are the worst fans in the NBA.
Well, that’s what GQ said, actually. We’re not so sure. We don’t remember the Lakers needing to do a “Fan Up” campaign like in Miami. Or having the general level of disinterest seen in Atlanta. Or… well, you get the idea.
Ron Artest interacts with the fan base more than any other Laker and admitted the L.A. fans may be a little different — and he was classic Artest about it, as quoted by Brian Kamenetzky at the ESPN’s Land O’ Lakers blog.
“Our season ticket holders, they come to the game with Grey Poupon. Slice of bread, and some silverware. It’s good. It’s a different type of thing. They’re eating caviar. They’ve got manicures on the floor. You can get [a] manicure, pedicure. How many arenas can you get a pedicure and watch the game
It’s certainly true Lakers fans, in or out of the arena, are hard to impress.
“They’ve seen winning all the time, so they want to see something more exciting… If I moonwalk after I get a rebound, that’s exciting,” Artest explained. “If [Andrew Bynum] does, like, a cartwheel, take his shirt off, and [puts] electrical shocks on his nipples and starts doing the Electric Slide, that’s exciting.”
Well, there’s an image seared in my brain that’s going to be hard to erase.
Phil Jackson was a little less visual, but and a little more diplomatic, in talking with Kevin Ding at the Orange County Register.
“We do not have vociferous fans.” He cited Utah Jazz fans as particularly loud.
But Jackson said about Lakers fans: “I think they’re knowledgeable.”
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 40
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 18
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6