Mar 17, 2011, 10:52 PM EST
We told you that the Lakers are the worst fans in the NBA.
Well, that’s what GQ said, actually. We’re not so sure. We don’t remember the Lakers needing to do a “Fan Up” campaign like in Miami. Or having the general level of disinterest seen in Atlanta. Or… well, you get the idea.
Ron Artest interacts with the fan base more than any other Laker and admitted the L.A. fans may be a little different — and he was classic Artest about it, as quoted by Brian Kamenetzky at the ESPN’s Land O’ Lakers blog.
“Our season ticket holders, they come to the game with Grey Poupon. Slice of bread, and some silverware. It’s good. It’s a different type of thing. They’re eating caviar. They’ve got manicures on the floor. You can get [a] manicure, pedicure. How many arenas can you get a pedicure and watch the game
It’s certainly true Lakers fans, in or out of the arena, are hard to impress.
“They’ve seen winning all the time, so they want to see something more exciting… If I moonwalk after I get a rebound, that’s exciting,” Artest explained. “If [Andrew Bynum] does, like, a cartwheel, take his shirt off, and [puts] electrical shocks on his nipples and starts doing the Electric Slide, that’s exciting.”
Well, there’s an image seared in my brain that’s going to be hard to erase.
Phil Jackson was a little less visual, but and a little more diplomatic, in talking with Kevin Ding at the Orange County Register.
“We do not have vociferous fans.” He cited Utah Jazz fans as particularly loud.
But Jackson said about Lakers fans: “I think they’re knowledgeable.”
- Report: At the moment, Lakers no longer considering trading Pau gasol 0
- PBT Extra: Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving? Plus coaching hot seat talk. 6
- Report: Celtics may be frontrunners for Asik; would move Bass, Lee, pick 6
- Tyson Chandler returns to Knicks lineup Wednesday night 5
- Beasley out, LeBron game-time decision; Heat not worried about Pacers right now 16
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)