Mar 17, 2011, 10:52 PM EDT
We told you that the Lakers are the worst fans in the NBA.
Well, that’s what GQ said, actually. We’re not so sure. We don’t remember the Lakers needing to do a “Fan Up” campaign like in Miami. Or having the general level of disinterest seen in Atlanta. Or… well, you get the idea.
Ron Artest interacts with the fan base more than any other Laker and admitted the L.A. fans may be a little different — and he was classic Artest about it, as quoted by Brian Kamenetzky at the ESPN’s Land O’ Lakers blog.
“Our season ticket holders, they come to the game with Grey Poupon. Slice of bread, and some silverware. It’s good. It’s a different type of thing. They’re eating caviar. They’ve got manicures on the floor. You can get [a] manicure, pedicure. How many arenas can you get a pedicure and watch the game
It’s certainly true Lakers fans, in or out of the arena, are hard to impress.
“They’ve seen winning all the time, so they want to see something more exciting… If I moonwalk after I get a rebound, that’s exciting,” Artest explained. “If [Andrew Bynum] does, like, a cartwheel, take his shirt off, and [puts] electrical shocks on his nipples and starts doing the Electric Slide, that’s exciting.”
Well, there’s an image seared in my brain that’s going to be hard to erase.
Phil Jackson was a little less visual, but and a little more diplomatic, in talking with Kevin Ding at the Orange County Register.
“We do not have vociferous fans.” He cited Utah Jazz fans as particularly loud.
But Jackson said about Lakers fans: “I think they’re knowledgeable.”
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11