Mar 17, 2011, 1:40 PM EST
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Nobody is question that the Knicks defense has struggled since the trade. Not even the Knicks.
But Carmelo Anthony has figured out the problem — it’s the coach’s fault.
“[We have to] come up with a scheme or a couple of schemes we’re going to stick with and do better at,” Anthony said yesterday. “Right now, one game we come in with one scheme. Another game we come in with a different scheme. I think it’s a bit confusing at times.”
It was the second straight day Anthony took issue with the team’s defensive game plan. Following Tuesday’s 119-117 loss at Indiana, Anthony questioned the defense on Tyler Hansbrough, who played like a beast in two games against the Knicks, notching 59 points and two consecutive career highs.
“I don’t think we made adjustments to him at the top of the key, especially after the game he had in the Garden,” Anthony said in the visitor’s locker room Tuesday. “I’d think we’d have made adjustments after that.”
Mike D’Antoni has tried to go with lineup adjustments to cover some iffy defenders he has to play (‘Melo, Amar’e Stoudemire, even Chauncey Billups), which is why you are seeing so much Toney Douglas, for one.
D’Antoni is not a great defensive coach, but he’s not as bad as his reputation. Based on points per possession, his Suns teams were middle of the pack defensively (their points per game looked bad because they played at such a fast pace). He can and does coach defense.
Anthony is blaming someone else for the defensive shortcomings of the team… that laughing you are hearing is coming from Nuggets fans in Denver. They’ve heard it all before.
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 9
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 23
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 53
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)