‘Melo says Knicks defensive schemes holding team back. Riiiight.

Mar 17, 2011, 1:40 PM EST

Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups AP

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Nobody is question that the Knicks defense has struggled since the trade. Not even the Knicks.

But Carmelo Anthony has figured out the problem — it’s the coach’s fault.

Well, that’s not exactly what he told the New York Post (via Slam), he blamed the complex and changing schemes. But who came up with those schemes….

“[We have to] come up with a scheme or a couple of schemes we’re going to stick with and do better at,” Anthony said yesterday. “Right now, one game we come in with one scheme. Another game we come in with a different scheme. I think it’s a bit confusing at times.”

It was the second straight day Anthony took issue with the team’s defensive game plan. Following Tuesday’s 119-117 loss at Indiana, Anthony questioned the defense on Tyler Hansbrough, who played like a beast in two games against the Knicks, notching 59 points and two consecutive career highs.

“I don’t think we made adjustments to him at the top of the key, especially after the game he had in the Garden,” Anthony said in the visitor’s locker room Tuesday. “I’d think we’d have made adjustments after that.”

Mike D’Antoni has tried to go with lineup adjustments to cover some iffy defenders he has to play (‘Melo, Amar’e Stoudemire, even Chauncey Billups), which is why you are seeing so much Toney Douglas, for one.

D’Antoni is not a great defensive coach, but he’s not as bad as his reputation. Based on points per possession, his Suns teams were middle of the pack defensively (their points per game looked bad because they played at such a fast pace). He can and does coach defense.

Anthony is blaming someone else for the defensive shortcomings of the team… that laughing you are hearing is coming from Nuggets fans in Denver. They’ve heard it all before.

1. denverhoopdreams - Mar 17, 2011 at 2:28 PM

We’ve heard it over and over. George Karl can coach defense, he’s proven that. Coachs can’t coach Melo is the only problem.

2. goforthanddie - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:07 PM

The only reason he’s unhappy with the defensive schemes is they require HIM to play D. And Mr. Vasquez didn’t cause all that hubbub to get traded to NY just so he could play defense.

3. mojowheelz - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Now Melo is a defensive mastermind? He never mentioned or worried about it when he was in Denver, because he had “other” people to take care of the dirty work. If defense is about heart, then……nuff said. I bet he wished he listened to George Karl a little better now, but Melo decided he knows better than a HOF bound coach. I think I read that Denver has the #1 ranked defense since the trade. I know it is only 11 games since the trade, but until I see a hiccup I will be a believer in a team game where everyone plays defense and shares the offensive glory.
    I thought before the trade that Melo was holding us hostage in Denver, now I know he was just holding us back.

• denverhoopdreams - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Are you making it to the OKC game? That’s going to be a defining moment for us.

• mojowheelz - Mar 17, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I am not sure if I am in town on the 5th yet, but if I am I will be there! I agree that will be a huge game, but I think with all of the quality opponents the Nuggets have at the end of the season there won’t be many that aren’t important. I wonder if it is possible for OKC and the Nuggets to catch the Mavs. Any way it pans out, I think it works out to the the Nuggets advantage to play so many great quality teams to see who plays well where/when/how.
        I don’t know too many teams who look at them as a team they want to face in the playoffs in any round. It seems most of the players and coaches are impressed with the Nuggets, based on comments I read from teams they have played since the trade. GK has mentioned it a few times, but I agree when he says he doesn’t know who teams prepare to focus on, since he doesn’t know….that is to our advantage.

• denverhoopdreams - Mar 17, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I’m excited man, send me a message on here if you will be in the area, I can see what I can do about tickets.

4. mharenza - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:50 PM

So, he has a problem with coaches changing the defensive game plan based upon the opponent? Interesting.

5. dysraw1 - Mar 17, 2011 at 5:27 PM

if u have a fast pace offense that based on rebounds & steals well that makes sense. but with dick dantone u get pick up this guy or pick up that guy, me im old school no lay ups no dunks

6. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 17, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Screw Denver, he doesn’t play there anymore, they got better player’s for him and they will all be in the hall of fame upon retirement, THESE PLAYER’S WILL PARTICIPATE IN FIVE, SIX, SEVEN

• denverhoopdreams - Mar 17, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Yup, all of them will be Hall of Famers, you know exactly what you’re saying. You’re just embarassing Knicks fans now.

7. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 17, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Championships, you just watch and see.I hate when people have so much to say and they don’t even watch the Knicks.

buh bye

• mojowheelz - Mar 17, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I would watch infomercials before I watched that filth they call basketball in NY. I watched Duh’Toni coach in Pheonix, so I know his brand of “basketball”….all run and no defense.

• denverhoopdreams - Mar 17, 2011 at 7:09 PM

But the thing is, in PHX he had players that could play defense without a “scheme.” They were ranked middle of the NBA like Kurt has even pointed out. Whats different here?? The players. :|

8. denverhoopdreams - Mar 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I watch the Knicks a lot by the way, League Pass rules.

9. denverhoopdreams - Mar 17, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Oh, by the way… do you think Melo went to NY to win championships…. HES GOING TO WIN SIX SEVEN TWENTY TWO THIRTY OF THEM.

10. khandor - Mar 18, 2011 at 4:02 AM

Kurt, it’s a mistake to think that the 7 Seconds or Less Phoenix Suns actually played solid defense just becuase some “stats gurus” prefer to think this way based on their interpretation of “pace stats”. Pace stats are not the most important stat category to determine a team’s actually “defensive ability”, relative to the other squads in the NBA, especially the best ones in the league. Defensive FG%, Defensive eFG%, Points Allowed and Points Allowed Per Possession (with Possession Totals calculated in the following way, i.e. Possessions = FGA + TO + [FTA*.44]) are all contributing factors to how sound a team’s defense actually is in the NBA.

• dysraw1 - Mar 18, 2011 at 10:31 AM

and thats the truth

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches