Mar 16, 2011, 11:18 PM EDT
Every day it seems the Sacramento move to Anaheim is looking more and more likely. Sadly.
“Anaheim Royals,” “Anaheim Royals of Southern California” and “Orange County Royals” all were filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Those filings were made March 3, one day after the NBA Board of Governors granted the Maloofs until April 18 to inform the league of where it will play next year.
The Maloofs have been in discussions with the operators of the Honda Center in Anaheim as a potential new home for the team.
Royals was the name of this franchise from 1949 when it was in Rochester through 1972 when it was in Cincinnati (it changed to Kings upon a move to Kansas City). The team has worn Royals throwback jerseys for a number of games in the past month.
We wish it weren’t so for the good fans of Sacramento. We really question the wisdom of moving a team and trying to sell a new market on the franchise during a lockout. But this is very close to happening folks, make no mistake about it. Get used to Anaheim Royals.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 10
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 13
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25