Mar 16, 2011, 11:18 PM EDT
Every day it seems the Sacramento move to Anaheim is looking more and more likely. Sadly.
“Anaheim Royals,” “Anaheim Royals of Southern California” and “Orange County Royals” all were filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Those filings were made March 3, one day after the NBA Board of Governors granted the Maloofs until April 18 to inform the league of where it will play next year.
The Maloofs have been in discussions with the operators of the Honda Center in Anaheim as a potential new home for the team.
Royals was the name of this franchise from 1949 when it was in Rochester through 1972 when it was in Cincinnati (it changed to Kings upon a move to Kansas City). The team has worn Royals throwback jerseys for a number of games in the past month.
We wish it weren’t so for the good fans of Sacramento. We really question the wisdom of moving a team and trying to sell a new market on the franchise during a lockout. But this is very close to happening folks, make no mistake about it. Get used to Anaheim Royals.
- Report: Dwight Howard told Lakers GM he was frustrated with D’Antoni 3
- Durant, Thunder players tweet out support for Oklahoma City 6
- Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture 17
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 17
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 18
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (119)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (73)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay