Mar 16, 2011, 11:18 PM EDT
Every day it seems the Sacramento move to Anaheim is looking more and more likely. Sadly.
“Anaheim Royals,” “Anaheim Royals of Southern California” and “Orange County Royals” all were filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Those filings were made March 3, one day after the NBA Board of Governors granted the Maloofs until April 18 to inform the league of where it will play next year.
The Maloofs have been in discussions with the operators of the Honda Center in Anaheim as a potential new home for the team.
Royals was the name of this franchise from 1949 when it was in Rochester through 1972 when it was in Cincinnati (it changed to Kings upon a move to Kansas City). The team has worn Royals throwback jerseys for a number of games in the past month.
We wish it weren’t so for the good fans of Sacramento. We really question the wisdom of moving a team and trying to sell a new market on the franchise during a lockout. But this is very close to happening folks, make no mistake about it. Get used to Anaheim Royals.
- Timberwolves run newspaper ad announcing Kevin Love-Andrew Wiggins trade with Cavaliers 19
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 28
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54