Mar 16, 2011, 2:51 PM EDT
There was a time when Dajuan Wagner was going to be part of the future of Cavaliers basketball (the year before LeBron James became that future). He was going to be at the core of the Cavaliers big plans.
Dajuan Wagner, the No. 6 overall pick of the 2002, the New Jersey high school hoops legend (he had a 100 point game) told the Star-Ledger he wants to make one more NBA comeback.
Wagner, now 28, hasn’t played competitive basketball for three years, but says he’s in the process of making one last NBA comeback. He had surgery on his right knee last year and recently was cleared to resume playing.
Wagner’s three NBA seasons were injury plagued (two knee surgeries, liver issues, even dehydration at one point. After he left the NBA there was a major intestine surgery. He had another knee surgery after playing in Poland. Teams will be wary because of all of it.
It makes comeback is a longshot. That’s a long time to be away, but Wagner (son of former NBA player Milt Wagner) has the skills if he can shake the rust off them. The question one wonders is if he really has the passion to do it anymore. The NBA is a life in the limelight, and Wagner is a private person.
“I just don’t like the attention,” Wagner said. “I could never get used to it.”
Still, if he works hard and really wants to play — not for the money but just because he wants to play — somebody will take a look.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 14
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43