Mar 16, 2011, 2:51 PM EDT
There was a time when Dajuan Wagner was going to be part of the future of Cavaliers basketball (the year before LeBron James became that future). He was going to be at the core of the Cavaliers big plans.
Dajuan Wagner, the No. 6 overall pick of the 2002, the New Jersey high school hoops legend (he had a 100 point game) told the Star-Ledger he wants to make one more NBA comeback.
Wagner, now 28, hasn’t played competitive basketball for three years, but says he’s in the process of making one last NBA comeback. He had surgery on his right knee last year and recently was cleared to resume playing.
Wagner’s three NBA seasons were injury plagued (two knee surgeries, liver issues, even dehydration at one point. After he left the NBA there was a major intestine surgery. He had another knee surgery after playing in Poland. Teams will be wary because of all of it.
It makes comeback is a longshot. That’s a long time to be away, but Wagner (son of former NBA player Milt Wagner) has the skills if he can shake the rust off them. The question one wonders is if he really has the passion to do it anymore. The NBA is a life in the limelight, and Wagner is a private person.
“I just don’t like the attention,” Wagner said. “I could never get used to it.”
Still, if he works hard and really wants to play — not for the money but just because he wants to play — somebody will take a look.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 32
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 10
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 15
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23