Mar 15, 2011, 12:15 PM EDT
The Clippers — behind the force of nature that is Blake Griffin — are on the precipice of being good. Maybe very good. Only the Thunder are a young team as well positioned to grow into a contender as the Clippers. Los Angeles has a franchise player, a good number two in Eric Gordon, quality young role players, future picks, a very reasonable salary number going forward. Just keep making smart decisions and they can be right there.
And yet, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. Because they are the Clippers and their owner Donald Sterling will find a way to screw it up. The stories about him are more horrifying with each new revelation.
This latest one may top the list — several years ago Clippers assistant coach Kim Hughes had prostate cancer, but the team wouldn’t pay for surgery.
“I contacted the Clippers about medical coverage and they said the surgery wouldn’t be covered,” Hughes said. “I said, ‘Are you kidding me?’ And they said if they did it for one person, they’d have to do for everybody else.”
When (then Clippers coach Mike) Dunleavy learned the Clippers wouldn’t cover the cost of Hughes’ surgery, he mentioned it to his players.
Several of them, including now Milwaukee Bucks forward Corey Maggette, Chris Kaman, Elton Brand and Marko Jaric, were taken aback by the news and decided to offer their assistance.
“Kim was one of our coaches and he’s a really good friend of mine, too,” Maggette said. “He was in a situation where the Clippers’ medical coverage wouldn’t cover his surgery. I thought it was a great opportunity to help someone in need, to do something that Christ would do. It shows your humanity, that you care for other people and not just yourself. Kim was in a life-and-death situation.”
That says a lot about the players on that team and their unselfishness. Their humanity.
It says plenty about the Clippers and their owner, too.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 0
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 5
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 11
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 45
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60