Mar 15, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT
We’re looking for anything, any little sliver of hope we can find to help us believe that a lockout in the NBA is not inevitable. That somehow the owners and players can find some common ground. That David Stern and the players can sit down in a room and agree about something.
Like they find Stan Van Gundy annoying.
In a Sports Illustrated players poll, Stan Van Gundy was the runaway winner of the “most annoying coach” award with 65 percent of the vote (via Ball Don’t Lie and Orlando Pinstriped Post). Phil Jackson and Scott Skiles finished second with 7 percent each.
Van Gundy is outspoken, and does it in kind of a grating voice. That style clearly is wearing on players. We know it wears on David Stern, who went over the coach’s head to shut up Van Gundy’s efforts to get referees to blow the whistle when Dwight Howard is hacked.
Personally, I like Van Gundy. He is one of the coaches who passes my “beer test” — would this guy be fun to just sit around with, have a beer and talk. Do Phil Jackson and Scott Skiles pass that test?
But if I need to sacrifice Van Gundy on the alter of getting a collective bargaining agreement in place, then so be it. I’m not going to defend him. In fact, he’s starting to annoy me a little bit.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 18
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay