LeBron picks Ohio State to win NCAA tournament, not a bad call

Mar 15, 2011, 8:11 PM EST

Washington Wizards v Miami Heat Getty Images

So is this about being true to his roots or true to his brand? Or a little of both?

In a shock to nobody, the Ohio native is picking Ohio State to win the NCAA tournament, the Associated Press reports. James grew up a Buckeye’s fan. The team also wear’s his gear.

James also admitted college may not have been his thing, but the tournament would have been fun.

“If I could have not went to school all the way until March and then played in March Madness, then I would have done that. But I have no regrets not going to school,” James said Tuesday, before turning a bit and looking directly into a long row of television cameras that surrounded him. “Now, let’s play this when the kids are asleep. ‘Go to school, guys.’ I was just fortunate.”

Thing is, Ohio State has a legit shot at this thing. They are a No. 1 seed. A couple of our writers at NBC’s Beyond the Arc picked them to win it all. They have the best offense (points per 100 possessions) in college and a very good defense. They shoot the rock well. They don’t foul on defense. They could do this.

And you can bet LeBron is going to talk about it.

1. marylandclubhouse - Mar 15, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Guess Ohio State is just glad that their recruits didnt take their talents somewhere else

2. thetooloftools - Mar 15, 2011 at 11:42 PM

LeBron James should keep Ohio put of his mouth.
    Get a ring and then maybe people should care what he says.
    He’s not fit to carry Kobe’s jewelry box.

• cordae - Mar 15, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Where……did that come from? We’re talking about the NCAA tournament. Did you just read the title and resort to bashing him? Pre-madonna….

• bils293 - Mar 16, 2011 at 11:58 AM

get over it. this article has absolutely nothing to do with lebron leaving cleveland. he has done more for ohio than anyone in the last 10 years

3. 1historian - Mar 16, 2011 at 10:38 AM

His english is atrocious. No problem for the Buckeyes – Greg Oden’s courses in his final semester there – Sociology and The History of Rock And Roll.

Source – Sports Illustrated

can you say ‘graduation rate’ boys and girls?

• thestrooge - Mar 16, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Ohio State is on the quarters system, not semesters. You (or SI) only list two courses for Oden, when most likely he was enrolled in four or five at the time. There is hardly a freshman in the country that doesn’t take an elective course like the HR&R, and Sociology was probably from a requirements set. Hardly an endictment on the schools or those whoe leave early for money.

• rucr8zy - Mar 16, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Really?? are you kidding me?? LeBron picks Ohio State to win and you associate his lack of proper english to Ohio State and what Greg Oden took in his final semester. Give me a break.

4. iucla - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Perhaps if he “had went” to college he would be able to conjugate the verb “go.”

5. florida727 - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Hey ‘1historian’… we’re not paying them to go to school and graduate, we’re paying them to win basketball games. Wait a minute. What did I just say? Never mind, hit the delete key.

They wear LeBron’s gear and he picked them to win it all? Wow! I would have never guessed. If I didn’t know better, I’d think he had some self-serving motive behind his pick. But like I said, I know better…

6. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 16, 2011 at 7:19 PM

LeBrons mother did not promise her first born to the people of Ohio so
    they can solve all of their economic problems.

LeBron left, get over it, he is just a basketball player.

7. thetooloftools - Mar 17, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I will bask LeBron forever.
    He went out of his way to delay his “decision” until all the big free agents were signed and then went on national tv and slapped us down.
    This is the same guy who quoted Cleveland’s sports history and boldly stated “I will not rest till I bring a championship to Cleveland”.
    You can bury your head in your (|) and move on, we here in Cleveland don’t and won’t forget and I’ll stomp his ghetto punk ass every chance I get.
    F’ him.
    I hope he never gets a ring seeing how he said “7,8,9” in Miami.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches