Mar 15, 2011, 11:11 PM EDT
Jimmer Fredette is one of the must-watch players in the NCAA tournament. Maybe the must-watch player. We can get into how he will fit in the NBA, but he is a special college player who is averaging 28.5 points per game and is hitting 40.4% from three. And all that while he uses a ridiculous 36.1 percent of his teams possessions and defenses are focused on him.
He’s going to get drafted into the NBA. Where he falls remains a question (DraftExpress expects him to go 17th right now) but his brother T.J. (a Mormon rapper) told Kate Fagen of the Philadelphia Inquirer (via CBS Eye on Basketball) they want him to be a Knick (read the entire profile, it’s fantastic).
“We want him to go to the Knicks,” T.J. says without hesitation. “That’s our team.”
In NYC, Jimmer could learn under veteran point guard Chauncey Billups, play in coach Mike D’Antoni’s up-and-down system, and live in a city close to home (in upstate New York).
Fredette can shoot the rock and he needs to be in a system where everybody has a green light in transition and when open. The Knicks fit that, as do the Suns and other teams. But he needs to be up-tempo. Put him on the Spurs, Lakers, Celtics or Hawks and he will struggle to fit in.
So for his sake, maybe New York is the spot. Although the reaction the first time he takes a shot away from ‘Melo as a rookie will be entertaining.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28