Mar 15, 2011, 4:04 PM EDT
Deron Williams outplayed Rajon Rondo last night. Pretty badly. D-Will is one of the games elite point guards so there is no shame in him getting the better of a player, but Rondo didn’t look elite in his 1-for-10 shooting (with nine assists).
As noted over by our man A. Sherrod Blakely at CSN New England, the problem is this has gone on for a few games (and Boston has lost three of its last four).
On Monday, he had two points while missing 9 of his 10 shots from the field. He also had nine assists, which marked the fifth straight game he failed to tally double-digit assists — the longest such stretch for him this season. During that stretch, he’s shooting 17-for-50, or 34 percent, from the field.
“I’m getting good looks. I’m getting shots, I’m getting floaters. I’m getting lay-ups. I’m just missing right now,” Rondo said. “It’s not mental. I’m just missing.”
The problem is Rondo — his playmaking and energy — are the Celtics spark plug on offense. When he is off, the entire team misfires.
Doc Rivers is taking it in stride — and don’t use that “S” word about Rondo.
“He’s not playing great right now, but I don’t think he’s slumping,” Rivers said…
“He’s human,” Rivers said. “He’s going to go through stretches just like Paul [Pierce], Ray [Allen] and Kevin [Garnett]. They’ve all gone through stretches.”
Well, glad we cleared up he’s not a cyborg.
But this is in fact a slump. That’s not a big deal, every player goes through it. One game soon Rondo will break out if it and his team will come along for the ride. But it is a slump. The Pacers are hoping it lasts just a couple more days at least.
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 11
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 8
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9