‘Melo wants you to know he is too a team player

Mar 15, 2011, 3:44 PM EDT

New York Knicks v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

It’s been pretty hard to miss the glee coming out of the Rocky Mountains — Denver is 8-2 since the Carmelo Anthony trade and they are all too happy to tell you about how they are more of a team, how they are playing defense, how the sun shine feels warmer and how the bluebird of happiness now mops up the sweat at their practices.

George Karl can’t seem to help but take some backhanded digs at Anthony when he talks about the teamwork and ball movement in Denver.

The Knicks are 6-5 since the trade and have alternated between looking brilliant and looking like something you might step in when visiting one of those areas near the great lawn in Central Park where dogs get some run.

For the record, Anthony is pretty sick of the sniping from out West, as he told the New York Post.

“I really think they kind of don’t want me to have success in New York, the way I look at it,” Anthony said at this morning’s shootaround at Conseco Field House before the Knicks get their rematch vs. the Pacers. “I try not to think about that. I’ve been in Denver 7 ½ years. For me to move on was a hard thing to do. This is a business and I’ve cut my ties there. ”

“For me personally, it’s a matter of trying to make other guys better,” Anthony said. “I think it’s a challenge I take upon myself to get guys like Shawne Williams going, Landry (Fields) going, keep Toney (Douglas’) confidence up since he’s coming off the bench now with Chauncey (Billups) back.

Since coming to New York Anthony is assisting on about 17 percent of other teammates field goals when he is on the floor in New York, up from about 14.4 percent in Denver earlier this season. Anthony is also shooting a little more often as well (about a shot a game, or half a shot per 36 minute average).

Anthony is not completely selfish, but he’s also out there to score points. That’s what he does. He may be conscious about trying to set other guys up, but at the end of the day he was brought in to shoot the rock.

What will change the perception? Winning. That’s it. That changes everything in American sports. Right now Denver is winning more and they get to set the tone of debate because people are checking them out and listening to them. When the Knicks start winning more, people will praise how Anthony makes teammates better.

Even though he’s pretty much the exact same player, NYC or Denver.

1. denverhoopdreams - Mar 15, 2011 at 5:02 PM

LOL. Kurt, you know how I feel on this one. The only reason Anthony will change anything now is because of all the criticism thats coming out. The funny thing is, the criticism was here when he was in Denver.. so I don’t get it. But I know you’re not a Knicks fan, you know I’m not. So lets pretty much just call Anthony scum and move on with it.

I like how he said this: “I try not to think about that. I’ve been in Denver 7 ½ years. For me to move on was a hard thing to do. This is a business and I’ve cut my ties there. ”

It was a hard thing to do? Up and moving to the bright lights was hard for him? Lala was pushing him to move to LA and NY since they got engaged… it was all in the plan. If it wasn’t there wouldn’t be a reality series coming into play.

He’s such a joke at this point, and Knicks fans will learn to hate him too. The funny thing is people say we all practically adored him. We’d chant Melo in repeat to the announcer when he scored. But he has been heckled for the past 4-5 years… people yelling “PLAY SOME DEFENSE MELO” “YOU SUCK MELO” “PASS THE BALL MELO” and it was every game. Coming from a season ticket holder I have heard worse too.

Melo wants the money, doesn’t care about winning, and doesn’t care about where. Just as long as the money pours in… (endorsement galore out thier in NY…)

2. denverhoopdreams - Mar 15, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I’m not even going to get into stats though, we could talk and argue about that for ages. Additionally, I hope no one takes a stab at my grammar and rambling.. here at work with the biggest headache in the world. But we got the better end of the deal… regardless… 8 people averaging 10+ point games is insane. Thats 80 points a game from those 8 at least, and not even considering the other players who score a few.

But yeah.. :)

3. diegorodriguez3897 - Mar 15, 2011 at 5:10 PM

The most difficult part of Melo’s situation is that he got exactly what he asked for when he was traded to NY. And, he isn’t doing himself any favors by saying out loud that he doesn’t think that they want him to have success with his new team. I follow the Nuggets and i haven’t seen or read anyone from the team who wishes him ill. The Nuggets are playing better now that at anytime since Melo was drafted and they are talking about the reasons why that is happening. Melo is a great scorer no doubt, but not a great player yet. Hopefully, instead of taking the Nuggets comments as criticism he can use it to raise his game to the next level like Kobe, D-Wade and Lebron have in the past when they were challenged.

• rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 15, 2011 at 6:22 PM

George Karl did take a shot at him, if anyone really believes that the Nuggets got the better of the deal they are just fooling themselves, the Nuggets got Quantity for a Quality top five player, you just
      can’t find a player like Melo, Seven years in Denver and they couldn’t build a team around him that could win it all and that is his fault, stop kidding yourself this is why the king left Cleveland too.

Just because you can’t build a winner don’t blame the player for leaving, Kareem asked to be traded
      from the Bucks after delivering a champioNship, Wilt was traded, Dr. J was traded so let’s stop pretending when a black player decides to leave the system is broken, it is not, Melo is a kid who wanted to go home.Now they want a franchise tag, get lost.

• denverhoopdreams - Mar 15, 2011 at 7:20 PM

George Karl spoke the truth… he said that when Melo was on the court, the ball went Melo’s way. It wasn’t a matter of getting other players open looks… it was the matter of letting Melo do what Melo wanted to do. That’s how it will be with your Knicks.

I know you’re a Knicks fan, I have seen you post quite a bit about how much you think your team is a title contendor now. Why do you think Billups didn’t want to go to NY. He knew he wouldn’t get a title out there.

Now, you say Melo is a top 5 player? He’s a top 5 scorer, thats for sure. Not a top 5 player by any means.

You also say we got quantity, not quality… by the way, you capitalized both those q’s when they were necessary. Anyway, so you said we didn’t get quality. Getting 3 players that average 15+ points ppg, who are team players, who have tons of diversity in defense, perimeter shooting, and can drive the lane a draw fouls wasn’t qaulity? GIVE ME A BREAK.

Additionally you guys got Carter, Balkman, and Williams… talk about non quality quantity. Balkman only played when we had an efficient lead, did you know Mozgovs playing Balkmans role and already has had more minutes than Balkman had averaged?

I’m starting to assume you’re a casual fan.

• denverhoopdreams - Mar 15, 2011 at 7:21 PM

By the way, we had built teams around him. Really good players have played for Denver during the Melo era… once again, it always came out to when Melo was on the court, it was Melos ball…….. LIKE G.KARL SAID.

4. r0llinginthedeep - Mar 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Where are the rips on Chauncey now that the Nuggets have gone 8-2 since the trade? He was arguably the second (or third, depending on how you view Nene’s importance) most important player on that team, yet he has received none of the barbs that have been thrown Anthony’s way now that Denver has got better.

This game is indeed about runs. You remember when New York went 13-1 in a stretch from November to December earlier this season? Yeh, that was preceded by a 5 game losing streak. If you genuinely think that the Nugs are going to win 4 out of 5 games the rest of the year then you may aswell pick them as NBA Champs now. Things change, and as much as I like these Nuggets (as soon as the trade was made, they instantly became my Western Conference team), they’ll get figured out eventually.

Also the Nuggets have three things that give them a boost over New York:
    1. They received a lot of depth, and subsequently New York lost its depth.
    2. Low expectations. If you thought they were going to start off the post-Melo era 8-2 then you’re crazy.
    3. They have George Karl, a great coach who has been able to implement a new (less ISO heavy at least), flowing offense and the players have transitioned into it seemlesly.

• denverhoopdreams - Mar 16, 2011 at 6:32 PM

No ones bashing on Billups because he is the face of Denver basketball. He didn’t want to be traded. Hook line and sinker there…

Everything else you have said is pretty much doing what you said at number 2, you’re giving the Nuggets low expectations here. When really, they’re way beyond what everyone was hoping. When I saw the trade we were going to get I was actually extremely excited. This was a way better deal than Favors and Harris.

5. musilly - Mar 15, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Melo: “It’s a challenge to get players like Fields and Douglas and Williams going but I’m able to do it sometimes. It’s hard, man, but I do it sometimes. And for that, I tip my hat off to myself.”

• denverhoopdreams - Mar 15, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Right? His arrogance surpasses me.

6. mojowheelz - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Maybe this is the new paradigm shift in the NBA. The best players can congregate on a few teams in the big markets, so they can get the marketing dollars they covet. Meanwhile, the small market teams will have deep squads that play team basketball on the offensive and defensive end of the court. No team will be able to afford more than three stars, and that will not be enough to play with deep teams like the Nuggets have right now.
    I hope Carmelo enjoys playing in New York since that is what he wanted, but why would I wish him more success than my hometown team. Nobody is bashing him here, I just hear a lot of players and coaches enjoying playing a team game again. You cannot play a team game when one player demands the ball more than any two others, and has no defensive focus. Karl stated fact…a fact that everyone who watches the game knew about Melo….EPIC offensive talent+UNFOCUSED defensive talent=mediocrity. That equation is why the Knicks will try as the Nuggets did to surround Melo with talent (Iverson, Billups, Nene (look at his efficiency)), and have no rings to show for it in the end. Melo is the only person who can change that equation, and right now his new coach will not demand it of him. Melo looks west for his former team to pretend he did not have a weakness in his game…not their job anymore. Jordan did not become a great player uuntil he started making the all defensive team, and making the players around him better.

Your move Melo. Prove everyone wrong and the noise from out west will fade to a whisper.

7. damp1015 - Mar 16, 2011 at 4:03 AM

You know alot of people are constantly judging how players recently are wanting to uproot their current teams; what people are not understanding is that being a player in the NBA is their career and can choose to change where they play as a person can easily change where they work. Whether Melo made Denver better or not does not matter, it is now behind us, put forth the effort in enjoying the new teams playing today.

Whether it is Lebron, Amar’e or Melo, they are who they where they are as we are.

8. dysraw1 - Mar 16, 2011 at 7:02 PM

everybody know what melo wants, yeah right. why cant he just be a kid who wants to play for a team he grew up admiring. has for him wanting to improve himself & the players around him well whats wrong with that. its arrogant 2 presume other wise

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches