Mar 14, 2011, 7:03 PM EDT
Kendrick Perkins will make his debut as the center for the Oklahoma City Thunder Monday.
The guy brought in to bring the defense and toughness along the back line that the Thunder have lacked will start in his first game for the Thunder and is not on minutes restriction, coach Scott Brooks said (via Royce Young on twitter). Getting a start against the Wizards and Andray Blatche, a guy Perkins is familiar with and can be physical with, seems a good spot.
Even before he stepped on the court, Perkins has been throwing elbows in the Western Conference.
“Yesterday’s news,” he said. “I don’t like Pau Gasol or Phil Jackson. Phil is arrogant. Pau is soft. Kobe tries to bring out his toughness, but he’s still soft.”
Kevin Durant was asked the same question and his answer was much more diplomatic.
The Thunder could use some of that swagger, that nasty streak Perkins brings to the court. He spent all those years with the Celtics, so you know how he feels about the Lakers. But if he can bring a little of that to Oklahoma City, they are going to be that much better.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 61
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 12
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32