Mar 14, 2011, 1:12 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant played through a sprained ankle aggravated during the Lakers thumping of the Dallas Mavericks Saturday, but now that the ankle has had a couple days to really swell up and get sore, he is a game-time decision for Monday night’s big game against the Orlando Magic. So said Phil Jackson, and we trust him. Kind of.
This is Kobe, so if they can hold his ankle together with some duct tape and spit he’ll hobble out there and play. Whether that is good for the team or not.
Kobe told reporters that he thought it was a lot worse, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
“I thought I was done, like done,” Bryant said after the Dallas game. “I was just praying that when I stood up my foot was lined up straight. … That scared the s— out of me. I thought I dislocated it.
“We were all pretty scared … to be honest with you because it looked horrible and it felt worse.”
Note to the Magic: These Lakers are not the Phoenix Suns.
Sunday Orlando thumped a Steve Nash-less Suns team, now they could get the Lakers without Kobe. But don’t mistake the rest of the Lakers roster for the rest of the Suns roster. Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol will prove a bigger challenge for Dwight Howard, and the Lakers have guys like Gasol and Lamar Odom that can still light up the scoreboard.
That said, the Magic are having the injury breaks fall their way.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 5
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 4
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 16
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 18
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games