Mar 14, 2011, 8:40 AM EST
The last time Kevin Love didn’t register a double-double? You were still dreaming about Thanksgiving dinner. It was Nov. 19 of last year.
But as part of an anemic Timberwolves offensive performance against Golden State, Love ended up with just 6 points on 1-of-6 shooting and his double-double streak ended at 53. The Warriors David Lee deserves some of the credit/blame for the end of the streak, but mostly it was just Love having a night where his shot did not fall.
That’s still the longest double-double streak since the NBA/ABA merger. It’s a staggering number. It’s an accomplishment to be celebrated.
Love averaged 21.8 points and 16.3 rebounds during the stretch and had three games of at least 30 points and 20 rebounds (according to ESPN research). Love remains the best rebounder in the league this season pulling down 23.8 percent of the available rebounds when he is on the floor. (Marcus Camby and Reggie Evans have higher percentages but both have missed numerous games due to injury.)
After the game Love tweeted:
“All good things come to an end, I appreciate everyone sending their love regarding the streak.
But with that said…why not start another one on Wednesday?”
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 6
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 14
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 49