Mar 13, 2011, 11:45 PM EDT
The Milwaukee Bucks have the worst offense in the NBA (98.3 points per possession according to Hoopdata).
The Boston Celtics have the second best defense in the NBA (97.5 points per 100 possessions).
Combine the two with a pinch of end-of-season lethargy from the Bucks and you have a perfect storm — a game where the Bucks set records of futility.
The Milwaukee Bucks scored just 9 points in the first quarter, 22 points by the half and 56 points when it was all over. That is the lowest total in Bucks history, the lowest the Celtics have allowed since 1955.
The Celtics scored an unimpressive 87 and still won in a blowout. In case you’re curious, we’re talking 65.1 points per 100 possessions (86 possessions in that game). The Bucks have the worst offense in the league and still score 98.3 points per 100 possessions on average.
Remember those numbers Boston fans who think that you defense is back. It is very good, but understand that the Bucks offense is horrific so you don’t want to read too much into this one game. Stopping it is like stopping a toddler from eating beets. Stopping a teenager from doing homework. It’s not that hard.
The Bucks were bad in every aspect — they shot 35 percent on spot up shots (their largest number of shots with 21 attempts) and that was better than most spots (via Synergy sports). They shot 12.5 percent in isolation, 16.7 percent when the pick and roll man shot, and it just gets worse from there.
This is a historic beat down and certainly a chance for the Celtics to show that even without Kendrick Perkins and Shaquille O’Neal they can still defend. No doubt they can. But let’s not confuse the Bucks with the Heat or Bulls.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50