Mar 12, 2011, 10:31 PM EDT
Atlanta Hawks forward-center Josh Powell was arrested by Atlanta police prior to the Hawks’ game versus the Blazers. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Powell was arrested for failure to obey an authorized officer directing traffic, failure to yield to an emergency vehicle, and obstruction.
Apparently Powell was trying to get around downtown Atlanta following the SEC tournament, and due to the traffic, became stuck in an intersection while an officer was directing him to go straight instead of turn. Powell was blocking an ambulance at the time, resulting in the emergency vehicle charge.
As a result, Powell was not available for the game against the Blazers. The Hawks released a statement acknowledging that they were aware of the situation and Powell was not with the team but declined further comment.
Even when things go right for the Hawks, something goes wrong.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 26
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 34
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7