Mar 12, 2011, 10:31 PM EDT
Atlanta Hawks forward-center Josh Powell was arrested by Atlanta police prior to the Hawks’ game versus the Blazers. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Powell was arrested for failure to obey an authorized officer directing traffic, failure to yield to an emergency vehicle, and obstruction.
Apparently Powell was trying to get around downtown Atlanta following the SEC tournament, and due to the traffic, became stuck in an intersection while an officer was directing him to go straight instead of turn. Powell was blocking an ambulance at the time, resulting in the emergency vehicle charge.
As a result, Powell was not available for the game against the Blazers. The Hawks released a statement acknowledging that they were aware of the situation and Powell was not with the team but declined further comment.
Even when things go right for the Hawks, something goes wrong.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13