Mar 12, 2011, 9:00 AM EST
This is a nice little meaningless story.
So the last time the Raptors and Pacers met up, the Pacers took a last second desperation heave in a blowout they were up in. In particular, Darren Collison took a three-pointer that may or may not have been at the end of the 24-second clock. The Raptors naturally didn’t like this much, because that’s what basketball players do when you run the score up on them.
Then Friday night, with the Raptors running away from the reeling Pacers, Leandro Barbosa went for a layup with the clock running out. Outside the NBA put both incidents together. It’s like a mini-movie. I like to pretend Tyler Hansbrough is Burt Reynolds.
The Score spoke to Danny Granger post-game, and the words were not the kind you share with your mother.
“If I was on him, I would have took his head off and I would have been suspended for a game for a flagrant foul. Stuff like that will set in the back of your head the next time we play Toronto. We don’t play them again but I was on him, I would have taken his neck off.”
You know, Danny Granger being known as the kind of brutal, Bad-Boys-esque enforcer that he is.
Barbosa denied doing anything wrong, falling back on the classic “people know what kind of player I am” reasoning. In the end, players should dribble the clock out, not out of respect, not out of propriety, but you know why? Because then no one gets their underwear in a bunch and we don’t have players with no history of physical defense talking about taking the heads off of speedy aging Brazilian veterans.
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 6
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 29
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5