Mar 11, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
Yao Ming says he is not done.
Injuries to his feet have kept the one time cornerstone of the Rockets franchise out of all but five games total the last two seasons. He’s had a couple of major foot surgeries in the last two years. But he told reporters Thursday at the Rockets annual Tennies Charity Gala that he is not done (video at Rockets.com, via CBS’s Eye on Basketball).
“I’ve been doing well. Once in awhile, seeing the doctors, checking to see how things are going. I’m happy about the progress and [I'm going to] try to make it back. They think I need about another 10 weeks until I can start running on the court… At that time the foot will tell me how much I can get back.”
Yao admitted it is possible that his body will not allow him to come back.
“That’s a sad question, first of all. If there’s a possibility that I’m not going to come back to play, I’m going to tell myself I already did everything I can.”
Yao will be a free agent this summer, but said getting back playing is the priority, there where will sort itself out (although he later added he really likes living and playing in Houston).
“Right now it’s more focused on my injury. About the future, it all depends on this foot.”
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 0
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 11
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 29
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 11
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 19
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (104)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut