Mar 11, 2011, 1:39 PM EDT
Someday, Steve Nash should have a medical textbook about him.
He’s battled back pain for years — that’s why he lays down on the sidelines — and had his face busted up a few times but has kept playing. The second half of the book would be about conditioning and eating right. The man tries harder than anyone to take care of his body, but it keeps trying to betray him.
The latest his groin pain that may be more serious than Nash lets on. He has pubic symphysis irritation — an inflammation of the joint at the front of the pelvis, a joint that really isn’t supposed to move, but is here. It’s enough trouble that it could keep him out of Sunday’s game against Orlando, according to Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic.
While Steve isn’t talking about it, other players are.
“Steve is playing hurt right now,” Suns center Marcin Gortat said. “It’s not easy for Steve right now and every night he is playing against a guy who is at least 10 years younger than him. We’ve got to help Steve. Steve is doing a great job for us as a leader.”
The Suns remain the nine seed in the West, 1.5 games back of Memphis for the final playoff spot. However, the Grizzlies are hot and would be hard to catch. They are 3 back of an up-and-down Hornets team, 3.5 back of Portland.
So long as their playoff chances are alive Nash is going to keep playing as much as he can. He can undergo physical therapy and take anti-inflammatory medications. But the only real treatment for pubic symphysis irritation rest. And that may not come until the Suns are eliminated.
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 0
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 4
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 15
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7