Mar 11, 2011, 1:39 PM EDT
Someday, Steve Nash should have a medical textbook about him.
He’s battled back pain for years — that’s why he lays down on the sidelines — and had his face busted up a few times but has kept playing. The second half of the book would be about conditioning and eating right. The man tries harder than anyone to take care of his body, but it keeps trying to betray him.
The latest his groin pain that may be more serious than Nash lets on. He has pubic symphysis irritation — an inflammation of the joint at the front of the pelvis, a joint that really isn’t supposed to move, but is here. It’s enough trouble that it could keep him out of Sunday’s game against Orlando, according to Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic.
While Steve isn’t talking about it, other players are.
“Steve is playing hurt right now,” Suns center Marcin Gortat said. “It’s not easy for Steve right now and every night he is playing against a guy who is at least 10 years younger than him. We’ve got to help Steve. Steve is doing a great job for us as a leader.”
The Suns remain the nine seed in the West, 1.5 games back of Memphis for the final playoff spot. However, the Grizzlies are hot and would be hard to catch. They are 3 back of an up-and-down Hornets team, 3.5 back of Portland.
So long as their playoff chances are alive Nash is going to keep playing as much as he can. He can undergo physical therapy and take anti-inflammatory medications. But the only real treatment for pubic symphysis irritation rest. And that may not come until the Suns are eliminated.
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 3
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 29
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- PBT: LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games