Mar 11, 2011, 5:57 PM EST
The NFL lockout is about to start after days of failed negotiations and amidst a big gulf between players and owners.
For NBA fans, it will be this and worse. The NBA owners and players may be farther apart and more antagonistic to each other than their NFL counterparts. That’s why we say the lockout is coming to the Association and all we can really hope for is that it doesn’t cost games.
The book’s message is pretty simple: The paychecks are going to stop, so you don’t need to buy a new Bentley to show off on your Vegas trip, you need to save your money.
The NBA guide includes tips on how to handle household expenses such as mortgages and rents; suggestions not to purchase new cars, clothing and jewelry, or travel to gambling destinations such as Las Vegas and Atlantic City, New Jersey; and advice on communicating with wives, children, agents and entourages….
“Clothing and jewelry often have little or no resale value, so if times get tough, you will not be able to liquidate it quickly,” the handbook says in the section labeled “Clothing and Jewelry.” “Instead of making large purchases in the next year, save the money you were going to spend on clothes and jewelry in a lockout fund to protect yourself and your loved ones.”
Revenue — and certainly television viewership — for the NBA is starting to really rebound after the recession, but many owners want a fundamental shift in the league’s power. Hard salary caps, franchise tags and more that could give them back power they feel like they have lost will be on the table.
The players say what the owners really want is protections from themselves — they agree to bad contracts and now want a way to get out of them rather than honor them. Not fair to the players, the union argues. Also, the players note that increasing revenue means that the league is not losing money at the levels it is claiming.
Owners say only a handful of markets are making money, most are losing. The players counter that is a revenue sharing problem.
And it goes on and on. At least the players get a handbook. We fans are the ones going to get screwed.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11