Mar 11, 2011, 2:24 PM EDT
I’m not sure we should look at this as Amar’e Stoudemire getting out of jail, just that his sentence was suspended. For now.
But it was the right call.
The league has rescinded the technical given to Amar’e Stoudemire (and the matching one to Brendan Haywood) during Thursday night’s Mavericks blowout of the Knicks.
That would have been Stoudemire’s 16th technical, triggering an automatic one-game suspension. Dwight Howard has already served his.
Eventually Stoudemire is going to get his 16th and sit out a game. But the NBA made the right move, it shouldn’t have been for this.
This was a Bennett Salvatore special. The referee was near midcourt with 9:37 left in the second quarter when Stoudemire and Haywood had some run-of-the-mill pushing and shoving to get a rebound. Salvatore rushed in to make the call in the lane and hit both guys with a T. Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni got so worked up he picked up a technical not long after.
D’Antoni isn’t getting his rescinded.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 33
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 8
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23