Mar 11, 2011, 2:24 PM EDT
I’m not sure we should look at this as Amar’e Stoudemire getting out of jail, just that his sentence was suspended. For now.
But it was the right call.
The league has rescinded the technical given to Amar’e Stoudemire (and the matching one to Brendan Haywood) during Thursday night’s Mavericks blowout of the Knicks.
That would have been Stoudemire’s 16th technical, triggering an automatic one-game suspension. Dwight Howard has already served his.
Eventually Stoudemire is going to get his 16th and sit out a game. But the NBA made the right move, it shouldn’t have been for this.
This was a Bennett Salvatore special. The referee was near midcourt with 9:37 left in the second quarter when Stoudemire and Haywood had some run-of-the-mill pushing and shoving to get a rebound. Salvatore rushed in to make the call in the lane and hit both guys with a T. Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni got so worked up he picked up a technical not long after.
D’Antoni isn’t getting his rescinded.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan “on verge ” of taking max deal to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 10
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 7
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 10
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0