Mar 10, 2011, 9:44 AM EDT
Some people are not going to believe him. In part because he canned a guy in a situation like this before. In part because some want it to be true.
But Pat Riley is not going to fire Erik Spoelstra and take over the team.
Riley (and apparently half the NBA scouting fraternity) was at the Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden doing some draft prep work and Dave D’Alessandro of the Star-Ledger asked him directly about the rumors he’d fire Spoelstra.
“Write it off. Write it off. It’s the media being neurotic. It’s their need to make a story, create a story, and make that story come true. And that ain’t going to happen. Write it off. We’re just in a tough time right now, we’ll get through it.”
What about the Heat’s current struggles and five-game losing streak?
“I know they’ll get it. But everyone has to overreact to things right now. We’re going through some tough times and we will get through it. It’s like anything else, like I always say, the playoffs will tell. Everything else now is just rhetoric. And we’re getting ready for that time. And I don’t really care what position we play from.”
Riley also admitted what we all knew — they need another big man in the paint. Someone who can defend the rim and rebound.
Riley remains a fierce competitor. Because of that, do you really think he wants to take over a team he knows is flawed? So flawed it will be difficult to win a title this year?
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23