Mar 10, 2011, 9:44 AM EDT
Some people are not going to believe him. In part because he canned a guy in a situation like this before. In part because some want it to be true.
But Pat Riley is not going to fire Erik Spoelstra and take over the team.
Riley (and apparently half the NBA scouting fraternity) was at the Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden doing some draft prep work and Dave D’Alessandro of the Star-Ledger asked him directly about the rumors he’d fire Spoelstra.
“Write it off. Write it off. It’s the media being neurotic. It’s their need to make a story, create a story, and make that story come true. And that ain’t going to happen. Write it off. We’re just in a tough time right now, we’ll get through it.”
What about the Heat’s current struggles and five-game losing streak?
“I know they’ll get it. But everyone has to overreact to things right now. We’re going through some tough times and we will get through it. It’s like anything else, like I always say, the playoffs will tell. Everything else now is just rhetoric. And we’re getting ready for that time. And I don’t really care what position we play from.”
Riley also admitted what we all knew — they need another big man in the paint. Someone who can defend the rim and rebound.
Riley remains a fierce competitor. Because of that, do you really think he wants to take over a team he knows is flawed? So flawed it will be difficult to win a title this year?
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25