Mar 10, 2011, 9:44 AM EST
Some people are not going to believe him. In part because he canned a guy in a situation like this before. In part because some want it to be true.
But Pat Riley is not going to fire Erik Spoelstra and take over the team.
Riley (and apparently half the NBA scouting fraternity) was at the Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden doing some draft prep work and Dave D’Alessandro of the Star-Ledger asked him directly about the rumors he’d fire Spoelstra.
“Write it off. Write it off. It’s the media being neurotic. It’s their need to make a story, create a story, and make that story come true. And that ain’t going to happen. Write it off. We’re just in a tough time right now, we’ll get through it.”
What about the Heat’s current struggles and five-game losing streak?
“I know they’ll get it. But everyone has to overreact to things right now. We’re going through some tough times and we will get through it. It’s like anything else, like I always say, the playoffs will tell. Everything else now is just rhetoric. And we’re getting ready for that time. And I don’t really care what position we play from.”
Riley also admitted what we all knew — they need another big man in the paint. Someone who can defend the rim and rebound.
Riley remains a fierce competitor. Because of that, do you really think he wants to take over a team he knows is flawed? So flawed it will be difficult to win a title this year?
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 13: Talking Asik, Gasol trades plus NBA Draft with Rob Dauster 0
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. 23
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 6
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 2
- Report: Knicks’ owner shoots down trade to get team Kyle Lowry 26
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (53)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (40)