Mar 10, 2011, 9:44 AM EDT
Some people are not going to believe him. In part because he canned a guy in a situation like this before. In part because some want it to be true.
But Pat Riley is not going to fire Erik Spoelstra and take over the team.
Riley (and apparently half the NBA scouting fraternity) was at the Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden doing some draft prep work and Dave D’Alessandro of the Star-Ledger asked him directly about the rumors he’d fire Spoelstra.
“Write it off. Write it off. It’s the media being neurotic. It’s their need to make a story, create a story, and make that story come true. And that ain’t going to happen. Write it off. We’re just in a tough time right now, we’ll get through it.”
What about the Heat’s current struggles and five-game losing streak?
“I know they’ll get it. But everyone has to overreact to things right now. We’re going through some tough times and we will get through it. It’s like anything else, like I always say, the playoffs will tell. Everything else now is just rhetoric. And we’re getting ready for that time. And I don’t really care what position we play from.”
Riley also admitted what we all knew — they need another big man in the paint. Someone who can defend the rim and rebound.
Riley remains a fierce competitor. Because of that, do you really think he wants to take over a team he knows is flawed? So flawed it will be difficult to win a title this year?
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32