Mar 10, 2011, 11:18 AM EST
Well, that’s about as big an endorsement as you can get.
The five time MVP. The guy with the statue outside the United Center. The one and only Michael Jordan says that Derrick Rose is the MVP, according to ESPN Chicago.
“MVP of the season,” Jordan said about Rose after the Bulls’ 101-84 win over his Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday night. “He deserves it. He’s playing that well. He deserves it. Without a doubt. And if he doesn’t get it, now he’ll see how I felt a lot of years.”
As you might imagine, Rose will take that.
“That’s huge, man,” he said with a smile. “When the person that you’re playing behind, all you hear about is Mike, especially in Chicago, look up to him. For him to say that, it’s unbelievable. It’s an honor and I’m speechless right now.”
The MVP race seems to be shaping up as a three man race: Rose, LeBron James and Dwight Howard (with Dirk Nowitzki, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant on the next tier). Howard is a bit of a dark horse because the Magic are not considered the title threat the Heat and Bulls are right now. Personally, I’m in the Howard camp, but it’s not going to happen. And MJ backing Rose carries considerably more weight. (You can vote for who you think should be MVP at NBC’s MVP fan ranker.)
Rose is spot on in one of his comments — this race has het to be decided. Right now a few players have put themselves in position to win it, but how players and teams do over the final five weeks of the season will determine the outcome.
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 12
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 25
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 19
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 9
- It’s official: Jabari Parker out for the season with torn ACL 20
- Grizzlies snap Warriors’ 16-game winning streak 4
- Report: Chris Mullin doesn’t want to jump in mid-season to coach Kings 3
- Shane Larkin, a second thought as Knicks chase star free agents, trying to find his own way 1