Mar 10, 2011, 11:18 AM EST
Well, that’s about as big an endorsement as you can get.
The five time MVP. The guy with the statue outside the United Center. The one and only Michael Jordan says that Derrick Rose is the MVP, according to ESPN Chicago.
“MVP of the season,” Jordan said about Rose after the Bulls’ 101-84 win over his Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday night. “He deserves it. He’s playing that well. He deserves it. Without a doubt. And if he doesn’t get it, now he’ll see how I felt a lot of years.”
As you might imagine, Rose will take that.
“That’s huge, man,” he said with a smile. “When the person that you’re playing behind, all you hear about is Mike, especially in Chicago, look up to him. For him to say that, it’s unbelievable. It’s an honor and I’m speechless right now.”
The MVP race seems to be shaping up as a three man race: Rose, LeBron James and Dwight Howard (with Dirk Nowitzki, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant on the next tier). Howard is a bit of a dark horse because the Magic are not considered the title threat the Heat and Bulls are right now. Personally, I’m in the Howard camp, but it’s not going to happen. And MJ backing Rose carries considerably more weight. (You can vote for who you think should be MVP at NBC’s MVP fan ranker.)
Rose is spot on in one of his comments — this race has het to be decided. Right now a few players have put themselves in position to win it, but how players and teams do over the final five weeks of the season will determine the outcome.
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 1
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 6
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 7
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)