Mar 10, 2011, 11:18 AM EDT
Well, that’s about as big an endorsement as you can get.
The five time MVP. The guy with the statue outside the United Center. The one and only Michael Jordan says that Derrick Rose is the MVP, according to ESPN Chicago.
“MVP of the season,” Jordan said about Rose after the Bulls’ 101-84 win over his Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday night. “He deserves it. He’s playing that well. He deserves it. Without a doubt. And if he doesn’t get it, now he’ll see how I felt a lot of years.”
As you might imagine, Rose will take that.
“That’s huge, man,” he said with a smile. “When the person that you’re playing behind, all you hear about is Mike, especially in Chicago, look up to him. For him to say that, it’s unbelievable. It’s an honor and I’m speechless right now.”
The MVP race seems to be shaping up as a three man race: Rose, LeBron James and Dwight Howard (with Dirk Nowitzki, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant on the next tier). Howard is a bit of a dark horse because the Magic are not considered the title threat the Heat and Bulls are right now. Personally, I’m in the Howard camp, but it’s not going to happen. And MJ backing Rose carries considerably more weight. (You can vote for who you think should be MVP at NBC’s MVP fan ranker.)
Rose is spot on in one of his comments — this race has het to be decided. Right now a few players have put themselves in position to win it, but how players and teams do over the final five weeks of the season will determine the outcome.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 46
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18