Mar 10, 2011, 10:54 PM EST
Amar’e Stoudemire’s status for Sunday’s Knicks game against the Pacers is now in doubt as he picked up his 16th technical Thursday night, the number that triggers an automatic one-game suspension.
Although, don’t be shocked if the league rescinds this one.
Everyone’s favorite referee (*cough, cough*) Bennett Salvatore rushed in with 9:37 left in the second quarter after Stoudemire and Dallas’ Brendan Haywood had some run-of-the-mill pushing and shoving to get a rebound. It was nothing that doesn’t happen a dozen times a game, but Salvatore raced in from half court to make the call in the lane.
Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni was so heated up on this one he picked up a technical not long after.
If it stands, Stoudemire would join Dwight Howard as the only NBA players to get to 16 technicals and the automatic suspension Stephen Jackson of the Bobcats has 14.
But this one should not stand. There was nothing close to deserving a technical there.
- Alex Len, No. 5 pick in a draft full of players who looked like busts as rookies, showing he doesn’t deserve the label 4
- PBT’s Wednesday night NBA Winners/Losers: Video of LeBron’s fumble, other tight finishes 13
- LeBron James, with chance to beat Spurs, loses ball to end game (video) 39
- NBA suspends Hornets’ Jeff Taylor for 24 games following guilty plea for domestic violence 7
- PBT Extra: Is Dwight Howard NBA’s newest villain? 31
- Report: Bradley Beal to make season debut Wednesday for Wizards 5
- Kobe Bryant passes 32,000 career points milestone 6
- Dwight Howard’s attorney: Claims Rockets’ star abused his child baseless 11