Mar 10, 2011, 10:54 PM EDT
Amar’e Stoudemire’s status for Sunday’s Knicks game against the Pacers is now in doubt as he picked up his 16th technical Thursday night, the number that triggers an automatic one-game suspension.
Although, don’t be shocked if the league rescinds this one.
Everyone’s favorite referee (*cough, cough*) Bennett Salvatore rushed in with 9:37 left in the second quarter after Stoudemire and Dallas’ Brendan Haywood had some run-of-the-mill pushing and shoving to get a rebound. It was nothing that doesn’t happen a dozen times a game, but Salvatore raced in from half court to make the call in the lane.
Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni was so heated up on this one he picked up a technical not long after.
If it stands, Stoudemire would join Dwight Howard as the only NBA players to get to 16 technicals and the automatic suspension Stephen Jackson of the Bobcats has 14.
But this one should not stand. There was nothing close to deserving a technical there.
- Report: Tracy McGrady works out with Kobe, eyes return to NBA 0
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 9
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 5
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14