Mar 9, 2011, 8:54 AM EDT
Golden State could be one of the winners if the Sacramento Kings head to Anaheim — they would be the only Northern California team. Sacramento baseball fans grow up rooting for the Giants. That could be the Warriors, they could grab future generation of NBA fans in California’s capitol.
Warriors owner Joe Lacob — in a wide ranging Q&A that Warriors fans should read — talked about the potential Kings move and its impacts to Sam Amick writing for CSN Bay Area:
You could argue that it’s a good thing if they left because we’d have all of Northern California, but you could also argue that it’s a bad thing because it sets a precedent for a team moving into another team’s market that they don’t want. The Lakers and Clippers don’t want them (a source says the Board of Governor’s vote for the extension of the March 1 relocation deadline was 27-2, with the Lakers and Clippers the only dissenting votes).
Lacob is specifically talking about San Jose. He doesn’t want a team there. But the idea of billionaire Larry Ellison buying, say, the Hornets and moving them to San Jose is not out of the question. Lacob doesn’t want that. (Lacob outbid Ellison for the Warriors, even though Ellison’s fortune dwarfs Lacob’s.)
Then there is the issue of who gets paid — league sources said that the Kings would not have to pay the Lakers and Clippers a territorial rights fee (something that could drive the cost of a Kings move up so high it would kill the deal). Lacob says it’s more complex than that.
There’s a 75-mile rule. That’s the fact, but it can be overturned (by a vote of the other owners) so you decide how you want to refer to that.
He’s saying he Kings should have to pay the Lakers and Clippers — unless the other owners waive that fee. Which they may well do (based on extension vote that gives the Kings owners, the Maloof brothers, until April 18 to make a decision and get a deal done).
Warriors fans, the Lacob Q&A also covers deadline trades that never came to be, and talks about the team’s use of advanced statistics. Check it out.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49