Mar 9, 2011, 1:06 PM EDT
Zydrunas Ilgauskas is one of a large collection of big men that sit barely used on the Miami bench, clearly not having the trust of coach Erik Spoelstra. Big Z has played a total of 32 minutes in the Heat’s last five games, racking up 8 points.
He told a Lithuanian paper that he is too old for this stuff anymore and that he’s going to retire. Something that friend of the site Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel confirmed (via twitter) Ilgauskas is telling people around the team.
“I am now no longer 20 years old and no longer a health point, so I think that after this season will be a good time to withdraw from the NBA. I gave everything for basketball. Now I have a good rest and spend more time with my family “
(That is the Google translation of the Lithuanian publication, so it may not be word-for-word accurate.)
Miami desperately needs a good center who can do the dirty work and help out next to Chris Bosh. Desperately. But Big Z is not that guy, not at this point in his career. That said, he has had a good NBA career and if he walks away he should do so head high.
- 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green 0
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 20
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 11
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70